CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID question

N1K

Guest rockmeupto125

Yes. At startup the igniter is supplying roughly double the voltage in order to strike an arc in the bulb. So they do seem to "flash" very brightly initially.

I think it's neat how it flashes bright, then is dim and slowly builds up to full running luminecense in about 3 seconds or so. Kinda cool.

I need to get myself a high beam HID next.

And Nik, isn't it H1D?

I think it's neat how it flashes bright, then is dim and slowly builds up to full running luminecense in about 3 seconds or so. Kinda cool.

It sure grabs people's attention. I get the wierdest stares when I fire up.

Just where can you purchase an HID bulb for a twenty-spot?

Saw them on this forum under some link when I did a HID info search... can't find it right now, but did a google search for HID nokya h7. Found them from $19-$38

Well, no... you did not find true HID bulbs for $19-$38, I assure you. You found the bullshit knock-off "blue" bulbs that many marketing drones want to pass off as HID. They are not.

You probably found something similar to these cheap-ass Korean bulbs that don't last for shit:

IPB Image

Just where can you purchase an HID bulb for a twenty-spot?

Saw them on this forum under some link when I did a HID info search... can't find it right now, but did a google search for HID nokya h7. Found them from $19-$38

Well, no... you did not find true HID bulbs for $19-$38, I assure you. You found the bullshit knock-off "blue" bulbs that many marketing drones want to pass off as HID. They are not.

You probably found something similar to these cheap-ass Korean bulbs that don't last for shit:

IPB Image

I appreciate the heads up Bro!

That certainly answers my question about the difference... Mama always said... "if it sounds too good to be true..."

So I would imagine a more reputable brand such as PIAA???

I need to get myself a high beam HID next.

And Nik, isn't it H1D?

Didn't I read somewhere that HID's don't do well when placed somewhere that they must turn on and off alot....like a high beam......

So I would imagine a more reputable brand such as PIAA???

Just my personal experience PIAA's are shit.

I dropped $80 on a set for my old truck... Lasted for less than a year.

Figured I just got a 'bad one' so I dropped another $80 for another set... Same thing. lasted less than a year.

Didn't I read somewhere that HID's don't do well when placed somewhere that they must turn on and off alot....like a high beam......

Yah, it's not happy, but how often I would use the High beam, it would be worth it.

For my cars, I buy cheap ones that are for "off-road use only", draw 80-100W, and without the blue tint.

Notice the package posted says they are as bright as a 80-100w but they are not really.

Bikes have thin wires, plastic holders, and weak charging systems. Some of the standard 55-65w bulbs are a little brighter but not HIDs. I still stay away from the blue tint.

I've had PIAAs last over 4 years in a Suburban and a month on a bike (too much vibration?).

A local guy here has an imported Chinese (unsure of exact brand) H7 low beam conversion kit for sale for 75 bucks NIB. Is this a good buy? Will the relay and bulb likely hold up?

Should I acquire a 100W halogen high beam to accompany it?

FW it's W, I just replace my low bean, the third bulb, original high beam, 99,000 kms. I bought it off the dealer but they had no OEM Honda bulbs. The selection of bulbs were all made in Korea. They said OEM were about $35.oo and no one wants to pay it. The bulb was installed, one hand only, nothing loosened or taken off. It's not as bright and I wonder how long it will last? It's a "Light King" halogen, 55 W H7 standard. $9.99. I suppose it's "cheap shit". The one it replaced was a Phillips made in Germany, oem? I'm not too worried b/c I never to extremely rarely ride at night and I'm ok with the high beams. I prefer to "do" suspension rather than lighting. Which is the next task over the winter. cheers, enjoy you long weekend, all.