CBR1100XX.org Forum

Will not idle

97bird

Hello, I could use some help with a 97 bird which will not idle. Has 7,200 miles and sat for awhile. Plug #2 has a nice brown color, but the others are black and look fuel fouled. It runs O.K. above 1,600 rpm and needs a lot of choke. Is there anything I can do short of removing and disassembling the carbs? Can these plugs be cleaned? They look O.K. except for fouling. Thanks for any advice. This is my first post and I hope I am putting this in the right place.

How long is "a while" and does it still have the same gas in the tank?

I have changed the gas twice - once to start it and get it home, and again after a few weeks to try to get rid of all the old gasoline. Before I bought it, it sat in a garage long enough to accumulate a lot of spider webs and for the battery to die.

I have changed the gas twice - once to start it and get it home, and again after a few weeks to try to get rid of all the old gasoline. Before I bought it, it sat in a garage long enough to accumulate a lot of spider webs and for the battery to die.

Dude! That is molesting of a beautiful 'bird... :icon_evil:

Good of you to save it.. :icon_clap:

Dude! That is molesting of a beautiful 'bird... :icon_evil:

Good of you to save it.. :icon_clap:

I believe the long term storage was due to a divorce. Ex-wife got the bike and ex-husband got the girlfriend or who knows what? I will be buying some Seafoam from Advanced Auto and could use a recommendation for a good mail order source for plugs at a fair price. I have looked up the picture of the vacuum and fuel lines to the tank switch and believe I have everything routed correctly. Thanks, everyone for the advice.

So.. Ummm where ya located?

There might be a board member in your area that could show up and (drink your beer) help you out, pull the carbs, clean them, put them back in.

Also.. if the battery isn't fully charged/etc, get a new one or at least fully charge it. That way you have enough spark.

+1 on Sea Foam, but if it's really sat that long, you want to get the carbs out and run through them.