CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI question for slip ons

Lakemojo

[attachmentid=2578]This is my first Fuel Injected bike and I bought it with a set of Yoshimura slip-ons already installed. I don't think there is a power commander or the like mounted, and the question is does this need to be there to prevent running lean? or does the FI unit compensate? I've put about 1000 miles on her in the last few weeks and it hit me that I could be doing some damage - (attached is the required photo to make this a 'good' post)

Thanks in advance...

post-3248-1155608208_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

[attachmentid=2578]This is my first Fuel Injected bike and I bought it with a set of Yoshimura slip-ons already installed. I don't think there is a power commander or the like mounted, and the question is does this need to be there to prevent running lean? or does the FI unit compensate? I've put about 1000 miles on her in the last few weeks and it hit me that I could be doing some damage - (attached is the required photo to make this a 'good' post)

Thanks in advance...

Everytime I get a new used bike I take it to my mechanic and have it serviced, checked and adjusted. I live in Colorado, 5,000+ feet above sea level, and most bikes I buy come in from lower altitudes. My 98 was set up with the same Yosh slip-ons. Put a K&N filter on it, valves checked and adjusted, bike inspected and adjusted. You shouldn't have to check valves until around 16,000 miles, but did not know how hard the bike had been run (bought it with 12,000 miles on it). Valves had to be adjusted. Bike ran awesome.

Brought a 2001 1100XX from Alpina, MI with Two Brothers dual slip-ons, no power commander, just K&N. Had to be re-jetted. Put a 16-T front sproket on it and runs outstanding. Just sold it to my BIL and he absolutely loves it, and he just put Corbin beetle bags on it, looks great.

Rode a 2001 1100XX from Chester, NY to Colorado. It has dual Mig high mount exhaust, power commancer and K&N. Had it checked out, they adjusted it but did not have to re-jet it. Just put a 16-t front sproket on it and it is stronger then the 2001 without the Power Commander.

Jetting = Carbs

FI = no Jets.

The FI system compensates for altitude changes but not for exhaust changes. Most slip on mufflers don't change the flow characteristics enough to cause a "problematic" lean condition. You can tune the bike with a PC to get optimum power and or MPG and also adjust for driveability as well.