CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slippery Pilot Roads?

Cossi

Well I put on the pilot roads a while back, and have almost 1K miles on them. I have never felt more unstable in turns in my life. It feels like I am riding on ball bearings. Not all the time, but most of the time. It actually feels like the whole bike is sliding on ice. Am I the only one that is having/has had this problem?

You have the LEAST sticky of the Pilot tires. Roads are mostly mileage tires, Powers are a mix of mileage and some stick, Powers are the mostly track days, some mileage. Then comes the Power Race, which is basically a track only tire. Don't expect a lot of grip on a Pilot Road.....but do expect good mileage.

I have a set on mine and have felt no such thing. Chicken strips on the rear tire are down to about 1/4", wider on the front. I find them stable and forgiving and hold well on even bumpy roads. I slow way down in the rain but no issues there either. Try 37f/39r instead of the 42/42 in you manual.

I have a set on mine and have felt no such thing. Chicken strips on the rear tire are down to about 1/4", wider on the front. I find them stable and forgiving and hold well on even bumpy roads. I slow way down in the rain but no issues there either. Try 37f/39r instead of the 42/42 in you manual.

+1

I ran Sweep at FUXXT and also at NEXXT last year on Roads. No problems at all. Stuck great.

Juxxtin can verify following me around said corner when an accident was spotted mid corner !!

Will be back at NEXXT with Roads again this year as well. I put to many miles on for anything other than roads.

If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with the roads in that part of the country... The only people that I've ever heard of having problems with that tire are in the Texas area, so it might have something to do with the pavement??

The only time my 'roads ever felt like you're describing is when

A. I've actually been on sand

B. turning in a concrete intersection faster than I should have been with 42psi in them in a 34 degree pouring rain.

that's it.

Mike

You say they're slippery, but you don't say they've lost traction. From what you describe, you don't feel very confident with them. It could be you're used to a different profile. They do tend to feel a bit heavier than average but they make up for it in stability. What did you have mounted before? Maybe give it some more time to get used to them. My back is worn right to the edge and I can't tell where the arrows were. The front is now down to the wear bars and there is absolutely no sign of cupping. I'm just about to put another set on.

That said, tires are very personal. If these don't suit your riding style, keep looking for something that does.

marty

I went from D208 to Roads.

I find them consistant, and actually turn in faster.

When they did step out on gravel, they recovered easily.

Are you sure the rear tire is aligned properly?

Did you tension the adjusters after torquing the rear axle?

I had a rear axle shifting on me once, made the bike feel like it was slipping.

Yup - they do exist. At last year's MegaXX, both daves01XX and I had rears that slid all over the place. S/N's were, 6U7D887T-1904 (Dave's), and mine was 6U7D887T-2304. The production dates were the last four digits 1904 = 19th week of 2004 and 2304 = the 23rd week of 2004. You might check your #'s and see if they're similar. I sold mine to RedJ when I got home after the meet cause he commutes on I-35 - no corners except for on/off ramps.

I can't say the pilot road I have on now is exactly slippery, but this is the only tire that I have broken loose under acceleration. I lost traction while accelerating around a car in Texas while in the rain. Lost the back end accellerating in 6th gear at about 65. I didn't whack the throttle or even attempt a hard accelleration. I just rolled on like I had been doing for the past 4 hours. I attributed the slippery-ness to the 4 hours of rain I had been riding in, but then last Wednesday night, I had the back end slip again. I was racing a GSXR 1000, and I was under full load, and twice during the races, I felt the back end wiggle a bit, like I was spinning the back tire. It might have been the road, but this is the second time I have felt it lose traction.

I am still very satisfied with the tire, much better than Dunlop. And as far as sticking in the corners, the Pilot Roads do an exceptional job for my riding habits.

Just my $.02

I can only echo what others have said: I run Roads most of the time and have never, ever

felt that the were the least bit slippery. They stick as well or better than any sport-touring

tire that I've had on the 'bird.

That said, I'm running the Pirelli Diablo Strada's that I purchased on the "buy a rear and get

the front for free" plan, and can say that they are as good or better than the Roads. YMMV,

of course.

No you're not... I never felt confotable on the Roads either. I couldn't wait to get 'em off the 'Bird. Currently running the Pilot Powers. I'll sacrifice the mileage for for better feel and grip! The Roads after the Z6's were a major let down for me.

I put 5400 miles on my new Roads in June on my Texas to New Hampshire to Virginia to Texas trip. This is the first tire I've unintentionally broken loose under straight line accel, and it seemed to feel as if the rear was slipping in even moderate turns. Not limited to Texas - in fact, there were few curves in Texas to test them. New Mexico, Missouri, New York, and New Hampshire come to mind as the areas where the Roads hampered my fun. But carrying 4 race tires with me would have been a little silly.

The counterpoint is that I was coming from Pilot Race Softs - usually used as qualifying tires. They would only last about 1500 miles, but they were free take-offs from a friend's bike and had only negligible use. Other than pre-ride inspections for wear and pressure, their adhesion properties never entered my mind when riding, other than to comment, "wow" after a very challenging hairpin or double. With the Roads, I'm always wondering.

With 5400 miles, the Roads show only a moderate flat spot from all the highway riding I had to do on the way back to make up time lost having fun. For mileage, I'll give them a 10. But I'll try the Powers next time, if the Roads ever wear out.

I'll try the 37f/39r suggestion, as I was running the suggested 42/42 for improved mileage. I can attest that mileage is great with 42/42, but as others have mentioned, I'll happily trade some mileage for adhesion.

I put 5400 miles on my new Roads in June on my Texas to New Hampshire to Virginia to Texas trip. This is the first tire I've unintentionally broken loose under straight line accel, and it seemed to feel as if the rear was slipping in even moderate turns. Not limited to Texas - in fact, there were few curves in Texas to test them. New Mexico, Missouri, New York, and New Hampshire come to mind as the areas where the Roads hampered my fun. But carrying 4 race tires with me would have been a little silly.

The counterpoint is that I was coming from Pilot Race Softs - usually used as qualifying tires. They would only last about 1500 miles, but they were free take-offs from a friend's bike and had only negligible use. Other than pre-ride inspections for wear and pressure, their adhesion properties never entered my mind when riding, other than to comment, "wow" after a very challenging hairpin or double. With the Roads, I'm always wondering.

With 5400 miles, the Roads show only a moderate flat spot from all the highway riding I had to do on the way back to make up time lost having fun. For mileage, I'll give them a 10. But I'll try the Powers next time, if the Roads ever wear out.

I'll try the 37f/39r suggestion, as I was running the suggested 42/42 for improved mileage. I can attest that mileage is great with 42/42, but as others have mentioned, I'll happily trade some mileage for adhesion.

If I was out running corners, I'd typically run 37R/36F on the 'roads...

Mike

I'm on my first set of Pilot Roads. They replaced the OEM Bridgestones. I'm about 230 lbs. running 36 PSI front, ~39 rear. I bought them based on what I read from other members. I'm semi-aggressive, semi-skilled (not a peg scraper) and am surprised and impressed with the amount of grip from these tires. I definitely have much more confidence that I had on the Bridgestones. I've only got about 1000 miles myself, but so far, so good...

I've been real hppy with the Roads. Way better than the crappy Dunlops or Bridgestone

BT57s that came on it new,

I have Longhaul's front Pilot Sport since his bike was totaled last week. Waiting for the current set of Roads to wear out so I can feel the difference of a really sticky street tire. :icon_whistle:

If I was out running corners, I'd typically run 37R/36F on the 'roads...

Mike

That settles it. I'll go out and change the pressure right now! I probably wouldn't have ventured that low, but if others say it works, I'll give it a try. Especially since I'm not carrying a week's worth of clothes around with me at this point...

Thanks!

Mike,

You are in for a pleasant surprise. The only reason I run 39 in the back is I usually am running around with about 80 lbs of baggage on the bike. For pure solo riding, down to 36f/37r and they are wonderful. Ride is much improved as well. The only thing you may notice is a little more reluctance to turn in, to me it just feels like a slight delay before the bike responds to that first input. Took me all of 3 curves to get used to it.

Well I put on the pilot roads a while back, and have almost 1K miles on them. I have never felt more unstable in turns in my life. It feels like I am riding on ball bearings. Not all the time, but most of the time. It actually feels like the whole bike is sliding on ice. Am I the only one that is having/has had this problem?

I have had a Pilot Road on the back of my XX since I bought her 6 months ago and have not had any problems with grip on the back even in the wet, I run 42 psi in it and have done 5000km on it so far looks like I should get another 1000km out of it. On a side note got rid of the bald, cupped D208 that was on the front the other day and put on a Pilot Power and what a difference it has made :icon_cool: - changes direction like the bike has power steering ( Pun intended ) and feels a lot smoother on the road now and corners a lot better even though I am still scrubbing it in :icon_biggrin: Even riding home in the pissing rain after getting it fitted it felt better than the D208, can't wait to scrub her in then put in a shim and see the difference :icon_dance: