CBR1100XX.org Forum

Colorado/MTN riders--jetting question

v00d00child

So, I'm moving to Colorado in the next few weeks. Rejetted my 97 this past spring with a Dynojet stage I kit, used the larger mains per the instructions. My bike is pretty stock, except for a pair of Yosh slipons. Can anyone at 5K+ ft above sea level tell me how they've jetted? I know I'll have to install the smaller mains, but is the middle land position on the needles pretty safe?

TIA

chad

Well, I can tell you that my bike is setup with the stock sea-level jetting and it runs like complete crap. Just sitting stationary blipping the throttle, you can hear the motor loading up and hesitating. It is way rich, with at least three flat spots dotted throughout the rpm band. I may drop the needles as a get-me-by.

However, I plan to fit a wideband as soon as I can, and then contact dynojet with the results for a jetting recommendation. 80% of my riding is between 7,000ft and 9,000ft.

-Pace

Pace-

If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain about the Conifer area. Being a lifetime flatlander, I have no idea of what to expect in the area. I miraculously sold my house in KS in 2 days, so I'm hoping to buy some thing in CO, and like the looks of the Conifer area. My concerns, though:

1. How treacherous is driving in Winter? Lots of snow? Are roads cleared sufficiently/frequently? Is a 4x4 considered a necessity in your opinion?

2. Wawa supply--looks like pretty much everything is well water--is the water quality decent, or is the 5000 water purification setup in order?

3. Conveniences: I'm assuming all necessities require a trip to Littleton/Denver--true? Not that big of a deal, as I'll be working just outside the loop in Deer Creek Canyon.

Anywho, I would greatly appreciate any info/advice. Maybe see you riding sometime!

thx

chad

Hey Chad

- The main danger from winter driving is the storms that move in suddenly. CDOT is certainly more prepared than states that rarely see snow, but of course they concentrate on the main highways (285 in this case). Backroads can often be covered with packed snow for several days before they are plowed. While our ice storms don't rival those in the midwest, they do occur at the beginning and end of the winter season when temps are warmer. In conifer, the winter proper usually runs from November to March, but we've had snowfalls as early as September and as late as June. Snowfalls at the extremities of the season tend to be shortlived and result in slush and occasionally minor flooding.

Your family should have use of at least one 4x4. Other vehicles should preferably be FWD and equipped with dedicated (studless) snow tires or in the least all season tires. Only the insane and perrenially stupid take RWDs out onto snow covered roads or when there has been advance storm warning. Plenty of people seem to persist with them but they inevitably end up parked in a ditch or in the median when snow hits.

- I'm on well water. We had the basic tests run on ours and it checked out good. I run a coarse and fine particle filter in line which I replace annually. I run an inline carbon filter to feed the refridgerator ice maker and ice water. I have not had any problems drinking straight from the tap, although my wife prefers to drink bottled water. In the spring, the water can turn a light brownish color from the runoff. This is completely harmless, but does tend to stain toilet ceramics and so forth.

- Conifer has a small precinct of shops, including a Safeway and a few small restaurants, as well as a gas station. A mile to the east is Aspen Park which has several more restaurants, several gas stations, a NAPA, Big-O tires, etc. They have also zoned to build a King Soopers grocery store. Evergreen, starting about 8 miles to the north spreads a further 8 miles north up to I-70. It includes just about everything else you could need, including several medical centers, three distinct shopping areas (small ones, mind), plus a Wal-Mart and Home Depot. Anything you can't find there, you will need to drive down to Lakewood - the western-most suburb of Denver - about 15-20 miles east.

There are numerous small neighborhoods dotted along 285 between Conifer and Denver. I would recommend you look at those too. While you would have to drive to either Aspen Park or Lakewood for shopping facilities, its worth noting that even a 1,000ft decrease in elevation makes a big difference in winter conditions and season length. The elevation of Conifer itself is around 8,000ft I believe, but you could be over a thousand feet higher in some of the nearby neighborhoods (my house at 8,650). Lakewood is at 5,800ft.

The commute from Conifer to Deer Creek and 470 is 30 minutes. Are you with Lockheed?

-Pace

Pretty scenery around there too. Big slab-sided red rocks. The Mrs. and I are actually looking at moving down into that area within the next couple of years.

Ken Caryl ranch is another option for you if you want to consider the middle-class suburbia environment as an alternative to mountain living. Would give you about a 10 minute commute.

-Pace