CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone replace Rear Turn Signals with Cat Eyes in rear cowl?

Venus97

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of streamlining the rear end a little on my '97 Bird and was thinking of replacing the rear turn signal with amber medium sized cat eyes in the rear cowl.

I was looking over my service manual and it does not appear to be hard in removing the cowl, or rear turn signals or accessing wires.

Has anyone done this?

Anything I should know about?

Also, once the rear signals are removed, do you have any suggestions for plugging or filling the holes in the rear fender so it does not look like a prize fighter with a couple of teeth missing? :icon_think:

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of streamlining the rear end a little on my '97 Bird and was thinking of replacing the rear turn signal with amber medium sized cat eyes in the rear cowl.

I was looking over my service manual and it does not appear to be hard in removing the cowl, or rear turn signals or accessing wires.

Has anyone done this?

Also, once the rear signals are removed, do you have any suggestions for plugging or filling the holes in the rear fender so it does not look like a prize fighter with a couple of teeth missing? :icon_think:

That's inhumane, and you'll never get them to light up.....

Some of the smaller lights get hard to see up on those vents.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone done this?

I did it to mine and shaved the plastic in the back so the holes left were removed. Here are some pics. If you have any questions on wiring, let me know?

[attachmentid=2405][attachmentid=2406][attachmentid=2407]

post-2759-1154903717_thumb.jpg

post-2759-1154903755_thumb.jpg

post-2759-1154903795_thumb.jpg

Adam and I just picked up a 2000 Bird for a member in California that he is picking up next month to take to NEXXT.

It just so happens to have the cat Eye lights mounted inside the tail vents. It surprised me how nice they look. There would be a visibility problem from the side but seem to work well from the rear.

Very clean look

Unfortunately I am not able to get pictures due to the Bird being stored about 50 miles from me until the new owner picks it up on the 6th of September when we ride together up to NEXXT.

John01XX

Adam and I just picked up a 2000 Bird for a member in California that he is picking up next month to take to NEXXT.

It just so happens to have the cat Eye lights mounted inside the tail vents. It surprised me how nice they look. There would be a visibility problem from the side but seem to work well from the rear.

Very clean look

Unfortunately I am not able to get pictures due to the Bird being stored about 50 miles from me until the new owner picks it up on the 6th of September when we ride together up to NEXXT.

John01XX

I've seen them in the rear vents. Like the way they look also, didn't like the lack of visibility from the sides though!

Slinger, that is exact the location and the approximate size of the lights I was considering. :icon_dance:

Installation not too complicated? Hey what's 5150 signify? (I used to use that code often when I was a CA LEO)

I agree with you and John that installing in the rear vents would obscure side visibility. (And since I slice and dice on the freeway commute everyday, that would concern me.)

Thanks guys for your assistance.

I have them, and I don't like them.

[attachmentid=2420][attachmentid=2421]

I don't think they look clean at all. I'm actually going to take them off, replace the rear cowl with a spare, and put on some quality LED metal mini-stalk turn signals I originally got for Michelle's Ninja.

post-2282-1154916258_thumb.jpg

post-2282-1154916354_thumb.jpg

I can't remember who it was but someone cut out the rear cowl and mounted a set of XX front signals in the cowl. Looks very slick and they are the perfect shape to be mounted in the cowl.

Eric (EVLXX) did that and they look incredible.

Eric, where you at brutha?

Slinger, that is exact the location and the approximate size of the lights I was considering. :icon_dance:

Installation not too complicated? Hey what's 5150 signify? (I used to use that code often when I was a CA LEO)

I agree with you and John that installing in the rear vents would obscure side visibility. (And since I slice and dice on the freeway commute everyday, that would concern me.)

Thanks guys for your assistance.

I just measured carefully so they were even on both sides. Drilled the holes for the wires and screws. I can look at the specific wire colors for you if you need it. I just used a volt meter and tested for the hot lead. It took me about 20 minutes to do. I used to do car audio and electronics for a living, so drilling holes and tapping wires is not a big deal to me. It might take you longer if you're not used to doing this stuff.

I have them, and I don't like them.

[attachmentid=2420][attachmentid=2421]

I don't think they look clean at all. I'm actually going to take them off, replace the rear cowl with a spare, and put on some quality LED metal mini-stalk turn signals I originally got for Michelle's Ninja.

I know someone with those small led signals, and he doesn't like them because they aren't as visible at night. My biggest fear on the bike is getting hit from behind!

I know someone with those small led signals, and he doesn't like them because they aren't as visible at night. My biggest fear on the bike is getting hit from behind!

Yeah, the cheapo ones are pretty dim. I noticed these on another bird, and was impressed with how much brighter they were than even the stock rear turn signals, so I dropped the cash on them. They're $40 a pair, and made of metal instead of the cheap black plastic

Yeah, the cheapo ones are pretty dim. I noticed these on another bird, and was impressed with how much brighter they were than even the stock rear turn signals, so I dropped the cash on them. They're $40 a pair, and made of metal instead of the cheap black plastic

$40 is nothing if they're bright and noticeable.

P.S. you must be an E.R doc or RN if you go by OrganDonor. The wife's an RN.

P.S. you must be an E.R doc or RN if you go by OrganDonor. The wife's an RN.

Close, but with less of a paycheck. I work as a hyperbaric tech at a hospital, and have been an EMT/FF for the last 6 years.

My wife was trained in the hyperbaric chamber when we lived in Chicago @ Lutheran General Hospital. Where you from?