CBR1100XX.org Forum

water temp.

Bandit XX

I live in Alaska and the air temp. is normaly around 60 to 70 and my water temp wile cruzing is 175. I do not think this is good for my engine what do you think. Thanks for any input. :icon_wall:

I think today, most of the lower 48 would see 175 as soon as the key is turned on. Seriously, this has been beaten to death. You can find hundreds of responses about this. My bike has an analog gauge but I am guessing it runs about 220 "normally" On the road it settles down to 185-195. These motorcycles are notorious for running hot at low speeds. The damn frame will brand you on a day like today. The radiator is really a bit too small for parading but then that was never the intent. I have never seen anything close to hot at high speed. If you are considering changing coolant, stay away from "silicates" found in most anti-freeze. Even though I am a cheap bastard, the honda premixed anti-freeze is cheaper than a new waterpump, radiator etc.

I live in Alaska and the air temp. is normaly around 60 to 70 and my water temp wile cruzing is 175. I do not think this is good for my engine what do you think. Thanks for any input. :icon_wall:

I think today, most of the lower 48 would see 175 as soon as the key is turned on. Seriously, this has been beaten to death. You can find hundreds of responses about this. My bike has an analog gauge but I am guessing it runs about 220 "normally" On the road it settles down to 185-195. These motorcycles are notorious for running hot at low speeds. The damn frame will brand you on a day like today. The radiator is really a bit too small for parading but then that was never the intent. I have never seen anything close to hot at high speed. If you are considering changing coolant, stay away from "silicates" found in most anti-freeze. Even though I am a cheap bastard, the honda premixed anti-freeze is cheaper than a new waterpump, radiator etc.

Iam thinking my engine is running too cool.

Not too cool at all. It is where Honda wants it to run. There is a thermostat in the cooling system that will keep it at 175 or so by varying the flow from the water pump.

The radiator is sized to handle the output of the motor. In my opinion the only weak point in the system is the air flow into the radiator and I understand why Honda did what it did. You don't get to the speed this bike is capable of with a big, square radiator sitting out in the air stream. The inlet is sensitive to all sorts of things, even the turbulance from cars running 60-80 feet in front of you.

Good thing, it gives me another game to play while covering long stretches of interstate. I can pull up behind various cars/trucks and see how much my temp gauge climbs Corvettes are pretty good, most pickups are horrible and all SUV''s should be banned from the roadway.

Not too cool at all. It is where Honda wants it to run. There is a thermostat in the cooling system that will keep it at 175 or so by varying the flow from the water pump.

The radiator is sized to handle the output of the motor. In my opinion the only weak point in the system is the air flow into the radiator and I understand why Honda did what it did. You don't get to the speed this bike is capable of with a big, square radiator sitting out in the air stream. The inlet is sensitive to all sorts of things, even the turbulance from cars running 60-80 feet in front of you.

Good thing, it gives me another game to play while covering long stretches of interstate. I can pull up behind various cars/trucks and see how much my temp gauge climbs Corvettes are pretty good, most pickups are horrible and all SUV''s should be banned from the roadway.

Thanks for the input, I won't worry about it I just thought I might be Loosing H.P. running to cool. :icon_dance: