CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question - Am I lacking power or is this normal?

MrBadExxample

You are right, the engine will be more efficient at wider throttle openings. Lots of things can cloud/mask that though, fuel mapping, as you pointed out being the prime culprit. I might have just been operating at a better place in the map. I don't intend to make it a practice to run 5th at an indicated 90 down the highway, I was just worn out by about 7 hours of riding in 100 degree heat. The bike didn't seem to mind a bit. Even coolant temp was about the same, maybe a couple of degrees higher.

Since my owners manual is laying in the top of the tool box at home :icon_nono: I can't quote word for word.....but I am almost positive that mine says the 6th gear shift point is 36 mph. :icon_eek: I know that will probably be pushing it some, but the rev limiter should handle it if you flub the shift somehow at that "extended" rpm range... :icon_whistle:

Mine pulls like the gravitational field of the sun at anything above 2500 rpm.... :icon_think: ...something must be wrong with your bike....

Edit: After thinking a bit more about this, and assuming you are being serious :icon_rolleyes: , mine has had an annoying little dip in power (a panting sorta "gasp" is more accurate) here lately in the afternoons when it is really, really hot and humid and she has set baking in the parking lot at work all day. A hard roll on in 6th from below 4 grand get a little "chug" out of her... :icon_wall: It is not the Bird's fault! :icon_snooty: It is just shitty gas and super hot weather causing it. Once the temperature cools off and gets some cooler water vapor back in the air, she springs right on up to flipping my eyelids back when I roll on the gas. :icon_dance:

Owners manuals are the result of lawyers. Knowing this, most bikes manuals state very low speed shift points for their respective bikes to get around EPA regulations. This is the same reason some of the oil change intervals seem, well, crazy. I believe Honda recommends oil change intervals for the XX at 7500 miles! If they told everyone that oil changes should be done every 3000 miles, Honda would have a hard time passing EPA/DOT regualtions as the bike would be labeled a "Consumer" of fossil fuels and could have problems getting passed and thus sold in the US. This same logic applies to the 36 mph shift point. Honda had to Show the XX gets "X" gas mileage per tankful. To accomplish this, they state that you should lug around in 6th gear at 36mph to conserve fuel. Car Mfg's do this shit too, btw. This is why most people never get the fuel economy they are lead to believe!

Since my owners manual is laying in the top of the tool box at home :icon_nono: I can't quote word for word.....but I am almost positive that mine says the 6th gear shift point is 36 mph. :icon_eek: I know that will probably be pushing it some, but the rev limiter should handle it if you flub the shift somehow at that "extended" rpm range... :icon_whistle:

Mine pulls like the gravitational field of the sun at anything above 2500 rpm.... :icon_think: ...something must be wrong with your bike....

Edit: After thinking a bit more about this, and assuming you are being serious :icon_rolleyes: , mine has had an annoying little dip in power (a panting sorta "gasp" is more accurate) here lately in the afternoons when it is really, really hot and humid and she has set baking in the parking lot at work all day. A hard roll on in 6th from below 4 grand get a little "chug" out of her... :icon_wall: It is not the Bird's fault! :icon_snooty: It is just shitty gas and super hot weather causing it. Once the temperature cools off and gets some cooler water vapor back in the air, she springs right on up to flipping my eyelids back when I roll on the gas. :icon_dance:

Owners manuals are the result of lawyers. Knowing this, most bikes manuals state very low speed shift points for their respective bikes to get around EPA regulations. This is the same reason some of the oil change intervals seem, well, crazy. I believe Honda recommends oil change intervals for the XX at 7500 miles! If they told everyone that oil changes should be done every 3000 miles, Honda would have a hard time passing EPA/DOT regualtions as the bike would be labeled a "Consumer" of fossil fuels and could have problems getting passed and thus sold in the US. This same logic applies to the 36 mph shift point. Honda had to Show the XX gets "X" gas mileage per tankful. To accomplish this, they state that you should lug around in 6th gear at 36mph to conserve fuel. Car Mfg's do this shit too, btw. This is why most people never get the fuel economy they are lead to believe!

Current oils are so good, they don't really "die" or break down as much as get dirty with particles smaller than the oil filter can filter out... 8k is probably not an unreasonable expectation for an OCI on this bike, considering it holds over 4 quarts of oil, while other bikes with 3k OCI's hold 2-3... I do 10k miles on synthetic oil, and 5k on Honda or Pure 1 filters... Last oil analysis said that I shouldn't have run them so long, because the engine was still breaking in, and had the metals to prove it, but the oil was in GOOD shape!

Mike

Current oils are so good, they don't really "die" or break down as much as get dirty with particles smaller than the oil filter can filter out... 8k is probably not an unreasonable expectation for an OCI on this bike, considering it holds over 4 quarts of oil, while other bikes with 3k OCI's hold 2-3... I do 10k miles on synthetic oil, and 5k on Honda or Pure 1 filters... Last oil analysis said that I shouldn't have run them so long, because the engine was still breaking in, and had the metals to prove it, but the oil was in GOOD shape!

Mike

Of course this is true; 3000 mile oil changes are comical at this point.

The wording in the owners manual, however, it not based on how long the oil will last. The point of my post was not to discuss oil life but rather to discuss why Mfg's use the wording they do.

Mike

Of course this is true; 3000 mile oil changes are comical at this point.

The wording in the owners manual, however, it not based on how long the oil will last. The point of my post was not to discuss oil life but rather to discuss why Mfg's use the wording they do.

Fair...