CBR1100XX.org Forum

HELP !!! Pleaseadvise

Mr.XX

tonight while I was changing the front wheel on my bike I knocked it over

since I didnt have a front wheel on it I har to leave it down there till I put the wheel on.

afterward I started it up and it ran fine ... I took it put for a test run and got about a mile from home when it started sounding like a twin and loosing power .... I was heading for the gas station anyway so I filled it up and rode home

the bike is a 97 so there is not tip over sensor .... What can it be????

any Ideas.

HELP

:icon_cool:

Not a mechanic, but here's a shot. When running, is it dumping a load of fuel underneath the bike? From a past experience, friends bike went down, and once righted, it was running rough and pouring fuel out one of the overflow tubes from the carbs. Apparently one of the float bowls was stuck open and dumping fuel in. Possibility?

Guest rockmeupto125

since I didnt have a front wheel on it I har to leave it down there till I put the wheel on.

afterward I started it up and it ran fine ... I took it put for a test run and got about a mile from home when it started sounding like a twin and loosing power .... I was heading for the gas station anyway so I filled it up and rode home

any Ideas.

HELP

That's a tough one. It started okay, you took it out, it began running poorly, then you stopped and filled it up? After which it started okay, and ran poorly all the way home?

How many miles on it?

You could have a stuck float in one or more carbs

You could have knocked sediment loose in said carbs and it's plugging up your jets

You could have let it sit on it's side long enough for oil to get into your cylinder or cylinders. When you tipped the bike back up, the oil wasn't on the plug and it started fine. Once going, the plug or plugs started oil fouling. This would be my bet.

You my friend have a stuck float or 2 going on. I have seen it first hand at FUXXT last year. put on drain tubes onto the overflows of the carbs and route them to a drain pan.

First start the bike up ( use the choke if you have to ) and let it run for 10 seconds. If it's running like crap when you do this, check the header near the cylinder head to see whick pipe(s) are cool. Now you know which cylinders are not firing correctly. Repeate this procedure again with the fuel cap open to determine that the cap is venting correctly.

Then open the float drain screws on the cylinders that are not running. The engine will be off for this. Take a decent size screwdriver with a good plastic handle and litterly smack/ tap the float bowls that you opened the drain screw on. Keep on tapping from different angles untill you get them to drain. Once they start draining , close the screws and restart the bike. You should be good from there.

Are you sure Ralph? Mine went over about a month ago and the engine quit before anything touched down.

Now that I think of it, it was resting on the sidecase before it shut down

any Ideas.

HELP

That's a tough one. It started okay, you took it out, it began running poorly, then you stopped and filled it up? After which it started okay, and ran poorly all the way home?

Thats it , any Ideas

Ok , stuck float or fouled plugs .... I guess she gets naked again tonight .... I hate this Sh!t .... I just put her back together yesterday so that I could ride on Sat ... I put the front wheel from my old bike on to see how it would feel and didnt like it so I came home to do a quick switch and over she goes :icon_wall:

Now this .... :icon_doh:

by the way any of you guys ever paint your forks .... what steps .... what type of paint do you recomend?

Ok , stuck float or fouled plugs .... I guess she gets naked again tonight .... I hate this Sh!t .... I just put her back together yesterday so that I could ride on Sat ... I put the front wheel from my old bike on to see how it would feel and didnt like it so I came home to do a quick switch and over she goes :icon_wall:

Now this .... :icon_doh:

by the way any of you guys ever paint your forks .... what steps .... what type of paint do you recomend?

I painted mine. Duplicolor gloss black, I stripped off the clear coat, covered the whole bike and masked off the remaining areas. Shot them with primer, and black. They looked great, but after 4,000+ miles they are all chipped to hell. At least I know I like the look so this winter I'll pull them off and get them powdercoated.

You'll see 'em Saturday.

How did you strip the clearcoat???

I started with a few drinks and some sexy music :icon_evilgrin:

Used a product called Tal-Strip. It's in the paint section of most auto parts stores. You can get it in a spray can or a gallon jug.

changed the plugs when I got home tonight .... but problem persists

when I hold the throttle wide open it surges then dies , surges and dies ....

it started raining so thats all I could do tonight

this sucks

When you pulled the plugs to change them out, we're all them the same color/cleanliness. Or were some of them soaked in gas and smelled like a gas can. If plugs were different, that might also tell you which cylinder(s) is not doing its job. Possible from a stuck float(s), as Mr. Wacko mentioned... Good luck my friend..

With all of this talk abought stuck floats/flooded cylinders (very good possibility), I would make an extremely strong recommendation that you smell the oil dipstick(seriously) for gas, and promptly change your oil and filter, ASAP. :icon_shhh:

Any chance that the coil packs/plug wires becoming dislodged/damaged on a hard impact like that? :icon_think:

I just put her back together yesterday so that I could ride on Sat ...

WAIT!!!!!! Before you tear into it too far, it sounds like you may have fallen for the vacuum line trick Honda likes to play on all of us carbed 'bird owners. Make sure you have your vacuum line hooked up correctly.

IPB Image

Did you do what I suggested?

No... That is up next , the plugs were the easier option to me ... I tried it it didnt work and then it rained and I had to stop going to try tonight if it doesnt rain again .... I'll call you if I need more directions

When you pulled the plugs to change them out, we're all them the same color/cleanliness. Or were some of them soaked in gas and smelled like a gas can. If plugs were different, that might also tell you which cylinder(s) is not doing its job. Possible from a stuck float(s), as Mr. Wacko mentioned... Good luck my friend..

the first plug ...left to right was wet/oily so thats why I continued with the plugs thinking it was fouled plugs but it sounded the same with the other set in .... :icon_eh:

the rest looked ok one looked a little burned but not fried.

I just put her back together yesterday so that I could ride on Sat ...

WAIT!!!!!! Before you tear into it too far, it sounds like you may have fallen for the vacuum line trick Honda likes to play on all of us carbed 'bird owners. Make sure you have your vacuum line hooked up correctly.

IPB Image

No that one didnt get me this time ....Been there , Done that .... Nice pic I'll have to print that one out too.

I hope, It is the float and i am able to unstick it with out taking the carbs off .... F'n with the carbs scares me :icon_eek:

BTW thanks for all the tips and ideas .... keep em coming

B-Wacko ....you da man ...

bike back online and runnin fine .... :icon_dance:

thanks to everyone who offered advice

I'm glad to hear that it all worked out OK. It seems that the carbs on the 98'-98' birds are very tempremental when it comes to the floats sticking. Smacking the bowls with a screwdriver is a hell of a lot easier than changing out the plugs too. Good deal.