CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Petcock

CBR F3 to XX

Recently I had my 98 blackbird parked for awhile and after warming it up when i tried to leave it was stumbling like it was out of gas. After jerking it (mostly to get enough speed to get to a gas station) i guess that got fuel to the right spot and she was running fine and only needed 5.2 gallons to fill up. When i bought the bike I was told since it has a gas gauge there is no petcock with reserve, is this true because if its not that would explain what happened.

Also since I have never ridden it to the point where the lil reserve light goes on on the gas gauge (and ive been to about 190-200miles) when does it usually come on

On my 98 it's 5.666 gal. to fill from pushing. :icon_redface: Rated at 5.8 gal. so the last .2 doesn't run out to the carbs.

No reserve position on petcock.

The light might be dead on the gauge like mine is. at 200 miles it should have come on.

On my 98 it's 5.666 gal. to fill from pushing. :icon_redface: Rated at 5.8 gal. so the last .2 doesn't run out to the carbs.

No reserve position on petcock.

The light might be dead on the gauge like mine is. at 200 miles it should have come on.

Your res light should have been on so don't ever count on it again. Use the Tripometer, it's more accurate than the guage. figure for 200 max. Your 98 will get slightly better milage than the FI models.

You were obviously close to empty and there may be a bit of water in your tank.

Run some seafoam through her for a couple tanks and she should be like new.

+1 good idea

marty

my 02' with a PC allows me to get around 43mpg average if I behave. (35 - 38 if twisting some, and 30 - 32 is being naughty)

I let my light blink for 25 miles the other week and only put in 5.545 gallons in a 6.3 gallon tank. (most I ever put in was 5.880 gallons a few yrs ago)

The light isn't as accurate as actual mileage.

Most I've put in was 5.4 on my 5.8 gallon tank and that was at 185 miles riding 2 up with luggage averaging 85-90 mph.

I've only hit 200 miles one time, but that was doing 60-65 mph in the rain. Mine runs a little rich as it's jetted for a Yosh 4 into 1 and now I'm running the stock header with Micron slip ons

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap, I don't get but about 150 out of mine before the light is coming on. How the heck are you guys getting 200 miles out of your bike before thinking of refueling? I must be crazy hard on the throttle or something. I do think she is burning a little rich though as after about 300 miles I do notice a discoloration at the end of the exhaust pipes. I was considering a Power Comander III USB to rectify that issue.

Best I have done on my 98 BB is about 325km ~ 202ml and she still only took 21L ~ 5.547 Gal ( I believe the carb BB tank is 23L ~ 6.075 Gal ? ) - usually the fuel light comes on around 185km ~ 177ml. Although once just after I got her at the end of summer I did 300km to the light ~ 186ml and it only took 18L :icon_eek: I definately get less milage in winter because of using the choke more :icon_think:

Haha...

I have a '97 with K&N (came in the bike), punched stock pipes, and a Factory Pro jet kit.

With stock sprockets and "real" fuel, or with the 18T and 10% ethenol, I get ~48mpg full-empty on the interstate at a steady 75-80mph (GPS)... This is with either soft luggage, or my top box, tank bag, and bag on the rear seat...

I get ~43 commuting about 3/4 interstate (some traffic jams)

I get ~35 2-up running corners in third and twisting hard out of corners

My low fuel light comes on when I am down ~4.9 gallons, so if you've put more than 5 in, your light "switch" on the sending unit is probably dead...

The longest I've gone without fuel is 230 miles.

Mike