CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cam Chain noise when the engine is cold

RodeRash

I was just wondering if anyone else gets noise from their cam chain when their engine is first started?

It happens at a lower rpm than what is usually reported. (from about 2000-3500 rpm)

It's the typical "bag-o-marbles" rattle.

The noise goes away after a few minutes of riding.

I replaced the original CCT with one of the X11 models maybe 20,000 or so miles ago.

I was just wondering if anyone else gets noise from their cam chain when their engine is first started?

It happens at a lower rpm than what is usually reported. (from about 2000-3500 rpm)

It's the typical "bag-o-marbles" rattle.

The noise goes away after a few minutes of riding.

I replaced the original CCT with one of the X11 models maybe 20,000 or so miles ago.

Are you certain it is not the clutch basket? I get noise from the clutch basket, but not the CCT.

That'll be your clutch basket. Totally normal.

True, the clutch basket makes a lot of noise rattling around when it's cold, but this noise should dissapear when you pull in the clutch.

To me, RodeRash is describing a worn cam chain tensioner pretty accurately..... the "bag-o-marbles" discription is tell-tale....

That'll be your clutch basket. Totally normal.

True, the clutch basket makes a lot of noise rattling around when it's cold, but this noise should dissapear when you pull in the clutch.

To me, RodeRash is describing a worn cam chain tensioner pretty accurately..... the "bag-o-marbles" discription is tell-tale....

$34.50 delivered to replace it :icon_whistle:

It's definately not the clutch. The clutch makes a different noise.

It's the cam chain.

It acts like it takes a little while for the oil pressure to build in the CCT before it tensions properly.

I might try an oil additive like BG EPC to see if this makes a difference.

and in reponse to my initial question...I came across the answer...having removed my side panels for the first time since acquiring the bike. The "very slight" rattling is coming from the cooling fan. There's a very small amount of play around the fan bearings...probably normal..but when going through 3500-4000 rpms...that frequency just gets that thing rattling.