CBR1100XX.org Forum

D.I.D. 530ZVM2 vs. 530VM

jab13

If I buy a D.I.D. 530ZVM2 will I have to have new rear sprocket? Also, is there an advantage to the AFAM hard anodized vs. steel rear sprocket if a new sprocket is required. The bird currently has a gold 530vm.

They are both 530 chains, so no, the chains will look largely the same, and will work on the same sprockets... The difference is, the ZVM is a stronger chain... I don't even really know if a VM chain should be on there to begin with, because it's got less than 10,000lb rated tensile strength.

if you aren't racing, always go with a steel rear sprocket! The anodizing on aluminum sprockets is only surface hardenging, so it'll look good for the first 4k, then it'll be SHOT and missing teeth at 5k (at least Chris's was), whereas a steel rear sprocket is good for somewhere in the 40k mile range on this bike.

Mike

Thanks Mike, based on that I really do not need a rear sprocket since my bird only has 21K on it. I will just order a front sprocket and the DID530zvm2, and from what I've read on here it sounds like White Buffalo Racing is the place to buy.