CBR1100XX.org Forum

Time to change radiator fluid and other fluid need help.

Texhoss

The bike is running 225 to 234 in traffic, and it is time to change the 03 Bird old fluids. I wanted to try something like Engine Ice. Engine Ice is already cut 50% with water, and I like the idea of the Bird running cooler, and I need antifreeze protection. Do I need 3 of these half gallon jugs? This cost $21.50 each. Crap, is there a better less expensive way to do this, have the antifreeze protection and help the Bird and me run cooler. Is the Engine Ice worth the bucks?

Next I want to change clutch and brake fluids recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl,

Check out this thread. I hope it helps some. I changed my coolant earlier this year, and I became obsessed with finding the best coolant. Here ya go...

Linky

-Steve

I use Motul, for what it's worth. My temp gauge only flashed once, while waiting to get into YellowStone West on the way to Jackson. That was when the bike was "new" and I was rididng coast to coast. I've never had a over-heating since I changed to Motul but it only get hot here/30-35 C for a few weeks a year and only away from the coast. Now, after reading all these posts I'm fully aware how knowledgeable and "opinionated" members on this forum are and how techy I am not. Just my 2 cents worth. I use Motex brake/clutch fluid.

The bike is running 225 to 234 in traffic, and it is time to change the 03 Bird old fluids. I wanted to try something like Engine Ice. Engine Ice is already cut 50% with water, and I like the idea of the Bird running cooler, and I need antifreeze protection. Do I need 3 of these half gallon jugs? This cost $21.50 each. Crap, is there a better less expensive way to do this, have the antifreeze protection and help the Bird and me run cooler. Is the Engine Ice worth the bucks?

Next I want to change clutch and brake fluids recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks,

Carl

Those seem normal temps to me..I wouldn't worry about it. Change the fluid and go back with the Honda 50/50 mix.

One small caveat for Engine Ice and NPG. Both contain propylene glycol which is usually not allowed on the track. Just keep that in mind if you decide to do a track day on the bike. Otherwise its EI has been great for me in Texas, bikes around 200F idling in traffic.