CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air in the lines or shit flushed out of the tank?

MikeXX

Lifted the tank today to put a shim in.. when I did so the fuel line came off, or I believe it was the fuel line (thin one that comes out out the bottom where the fuel switch is). I'd deliberately run the tank low on fuel to make this easier, so no fuel actually came out.

When I've put everything back together, it's running fine for a while, then seems to be having trouble getting fuel to the point where it will stall altogether. A minute or two on the side of the road and things are back to normal, but only for about 1-2 miles, then the cycle repeats.

My thought is that I've managed to either a) introduce a air bubble in the line when I disconnected it, B) washed some contaminent that was in the fuel tank down to the drain point when I've lifted/lowered the tank and it's blocking the carby/injectors, then falling back away when the bike is off for a minute.

Any ideas which of these, or others, it might be and what I can do to fix it..?

--

Mike.

I'm can't say what hoses, if any, are hooked up wrong, but your symptoms sound just

like a vent hose being pinched and tank is not able to deliver gas due to a vacuum build

up. Maybe you pinched the vent hose when you had the tank up or when you put it back

down.

I had a similar problkem with the vent hose being pinched. To get home I had to stop every 5 miles or so and open the gas cap to get air in - it made a hiss each time the cap was unsealed.

Something you make sure not to do twice :icon_biggrin:

Guest rockmeupto125

Its C) you put the hose back on the wrong place. Go back and try again.

Where's the right place? I couldn't see anywhere else to put it...

There's two places that feel (or look) like the place to put a hose. The right place is the other one. Look....you'll see it.

These are the hoses (marked for easy reference)

IPB Image

C is the hose that fell off

Is it supposed to be here Joe? (sneaky putting things at the back....)

IPB Image

Edit: resized them to something reasonable.. sorry. Also, appologies for the fuzziness, it's too dark under there to work the focus well at the moment.

These are the hoses (marked for easy reference)

IPB Image

C is the hose that fell off

Is it supposed to be here Joe? (sneaky putting things at the back....)

IPB Image

Edit: resized them to something reasonable.. sorry. Also, appologies for the fuzziness, it's too dark under there to work the focus well at the moment.

mate it's "C" and it goes behind the fuel shutoff,

I couldn't even get mine running when I put it on the same place as you did :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

Goodo, thanks for your help everyone :) Extra points to Joe and the Kiwi ;)

FYI: Test riding at 1:30am in Canberra wearing jeans is not really a wise idea in winter... I think my thighs are frost bitten :icon_duh:

Since you had "C" in the wrong place your petcock is also malfunctioning allowing fuel flow when it should be closed.

If one of yor carb floats stick open all 5.8 gallons will flow into the engine while it's parked. When you try to start next time if you don't smell or see the puddle of gas you'll hydraulic the engine and possibly bend a con rod. NOT GOOD.

I'd remove it and check for rips in the diaphram. While it's in your hand you'll become familiar with how it works and never place the hoses/tubes in the wrong place again.

Since you had "C" in the wrong place your petcock is also malfunctioning allowing fuel flow when it should be closed.

If one of yor carb floats stick open all 5.8 gallons will flow into the engine while it's parked. When you try to start next time if you don't smell or see the puddle of gas you'll hydraulic the engine and possibly bend a con rod. NOT GOOD.

I'd remove it and check for rips in the diaphram. While it's in your hand you'll become familiar with how it works and never place the hoses/tubes in the wrong place again.

Thanks for the heads up, Pete. I already had it booked in for a service next week, so I'll be sure to get someone who knows WTF they're doing to look at it. Some good may have come from my incompetence yet :icon_wall:

Thanks for the heads up, Pete. I already had it booked in for a service next week, so I'll be sure to get someone who knows WTF they're doing to look at it. Some good may have come from my incompetence yet :icon_wall:

After reading this thread TPS Failure are you sure they know WTF they are doing :icon_evilgrin:

After reading this thread TPS Failure are you sure they know WTF they are doing :icon_evilgrin:

Indeed =) Guy comes highly recommended though. In fact, works from his own home as I understand it and booked out weeks ahead w/ repeat business and word of mouth..