CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tires

Canadian Bird

I received a response from Clive, the product manager of Avon in England regarding running non B series Azaros on the Bird and he gave it the OK. If I knew the exact address here I would send his response as an attachment. I don't want to copy it. Generally speaking he states that they test the tire on the German Autobaun, flat out, fully loaded for 8 miles. They introduce a "weave" and then determine how long it takes to stablize. Then they repeat it with worn, no tread, tires. He states that it is abit overkill but because of the no speed limit it is necessary. Now, he did say that he doubted you could run the Bird flat out, fully loaded for 8 miles without encountering a corner. I guess if he were in some states he could. I don't don't so I guess the non-series might do. cheers I guess I'm flogging this tire issue to death but hey after the what I read on the "what pipes?" I feel safe.

I went 140+ for 15+ miles in Kansas on the non-B tires, with luggage and my fat ass on top.

I survived. :icon_dance:

That being said I prefered Pilot Roads. Why Pilot Roads?

I seemed to have touched a "raw nerve" on the Brit site regarding the B and non-B series from Avon. I have received conflicting responses. Perhaps road surfaces may have something to do with it. I'm replacing the BT 020's with the like as they work for me. I would love to find a tire that won't square off so quickly. I'm a conservative ride at this stage of my life, 61 years old, and I don't think I could notice the difference in road handling of various tires. No wheelies, stoppies, knee down or the like. Just want to be safe in the wet and get 15,000kms out of a set. I have had Pilot Sports as the second set but they did last long. I'm into touring and I hate scaring myself. There seems to be many more "old duffers" like me on the Brit site then the Oz and US sites. My 2 cents worth.

I've gone throw a few sets of Avon's they last a long time and the rear on mine didn't seem to square much at all. We have almost no turns here so they work great for me lot of millage and even when they are getting wore out they don't seem to be as bad as most tires for squaring...

I went 140+ for 15+ miles in Kansas on the non-B tires, with luggage and my fat ass on top.

I survived. :icon_dance:

That being said I prefered Pilot Roads. Why Pilot Roads?

I seemed to have touched a "raw nerve" on the Brit site regarding the B and non-B series from Avon. I have received conflicting responses. Perhaps road surfaces may have something to do with it. I'm replacing the BT 020's with the like as they work for me. I would love to find a tire that won't square off so quickly. I'm a conservative ride at this stage of my life, 61 years old, and I don't think I could notice the difference in road handling of various tires. No wheelies, stoppies, knee down or the like. Just want to be safe in the wet and get 15,000kms out of a set. I have had Pilot Sports as the second set but they did last long. I'm into touring and I hate scaring myself. There seems to be many more "old duffers" like me on the Brit site then the Oz and US sites. My 2 cents worth.

Yeah it seems that the road surface in the UK and Europe is different because no one on the BIRD site has had very good experiences with Pilots or any Michelin for that matter where as here in Aus the Pilot Power and or Roads have a great following and you guys in the US seem to like them too. Also the poms seem to find the Dunlops ok :icon_wall: