CBR1100XX.org Forum

Independent Gas Stations!

Texhoss

Some independent gas stations bid on loads of fuel. The same as if your where at a car auction.

I have been using a oil change additive by Gunk. With the truck cold, you add a quart of the basically soap enhanced petro product. Idle the engine for 5 minutes. Then drain the oil.

After all is said and done I will get a extra 0.5 quarts (subtracting the 1 quart of cleaning product) of old oil out of the engine.

Has anyoned tried this in a XX?

How old is the independant station you go to? I try to stay away from stations that look like they have been there for a long time. Chances are that some of the older stations tanks are more prone to leak and or draw in water. Go to a station that is fairly new or has recently put new tanks in the ground...

...just my 2 cents... :icon_think:

This station is less than 1 year old and is called the Flying J, a truck stop also!

Talked to my friend who owns a large gas station here in Milwaukee.

He agreed that its the gas station, NOT the gas they get. He said they get good gas. They either have bad tanks, or they mix gas or something. He said the new trick is to pump 87 octane into the Premium tanks.

But he said the gas was almost certainly good when it went out of the truck.

I don't know how reliable the grapevine is, but I heard that the Flying J paid to have some customers fuel tanks pumped out. My truck ran so bad that I would not try and pass anyone on the 2 lane hwy. It does appear that the Sea Foam has corrected the problem. I don't know if it was water in the tank or what.

I think I will go up to the station and ask some questions. That was the first time I have ever gotten bad gas at a station. I had noticed the acceleration had slowed on previous fill ups.

I don't know how reliable the grapevine is, but I heard that the Flying J paid to have some customers fuel tanks pumped out. My truck ran so bad that I would not try and pass anyone on the 2 lane hwy. It does appear that the Sea Foam has corrected the problem. I don't know if it was water in the tank or what.

I think I will go up to the station and ask some questions. That was the first time I have ever gotten bad gas at a station. I had noticed the acceleration had slowed on previous fill ups.

Could it be that you're just now getting the ethenol in your fuel?? before it was in all the fuel here, I got some on a road trip (at a Shell, if you must know) out of state, and notice the ethenol 10% sticker on the pump... Car had NO POWER AT ALL in comparison to the additive we used in Indiana... Found that to be the case any time I got gas anywhere in Illinois before we switched to ethenol here too...

Mike

Maybe adding to the confusion or clarifying but I work for a Terminaling company www.magellanlp.com where the tank trucks come to get their gas and I can say for certain that they all get their gas from the same tanks. Almost all loading rack tanks are bottom drain. That gas goes on the fisrt come fisrt served basis with no priority. We use filters and water coalescing filters to trap water. The reason some can call their gas "their own" is that we inject additives at the rack but we are talking about micro liters per load. Just enought to say "thats our gas" The only way you could ever tell is through use of a Gas Chromatograph or Mass Spectrometer.

To be certain your are getting good gas does not have anyhting to do with where the gas comes from but how it's handeled. We are so heavily regulated that it is nearly impossible for terminals to be the source of contaminates or water. We have labs on site and test product daily (we test every tank truck full on jet fuel). Many companys use the same trucks for hauling diesel as gas (or other petrochems) and there is no rinse between loads. Over time this can be an issue. Many small stations or chains do not have the maint programs in place to maintain the facilities which is the primary issue with gas.

We have a couple of chains like Quick Trip or Loves that have dedicated trucks for certain products and a good maint program so they generally have the best fuel. Just look at the place you are buying the fuel. If they cant clean the bathrooms do you think they have a clue how to maintain a fuel delivery point?