CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil leaking... can someone tell me??

Fiona

I came out to take the bike and clean it up a little but I found a spot of what looks like oil leaking from the right side and possibly the left side around the stator cover.....

I snapped a few shots ... perhaps someone can tell me exactly what I'm looking at here?

The bike sat for basically 2 years before I picked it up yesterday and rode it 150 miles...

Bad gaskets? Normal because it has been sitting and will cure itself?

Thanks....

Joel

These first 3 are right side pics....looks like it's coming out around the right most gold colored bolt or at the seam behind that bolt????

These last 2 are left side pics....

150mph blast blew out the gasket :icon_whistle:

Just kiddin. Although if it had sat for two years the gaskets most likely did dry out. If they are fiber they may "heal". If they are rubber, they may need replacing. All based on general theory. No experience specific to the 'bird.

Well, I wiped down all the oily parts, drained the oil, swapped the filter and filled it back up with oil. Left the panels off and put it on a dry, unmarked spot in the garage to see what shows up tomorrow morning.

I'll keep ya posted.

Doubt you will get oil leaking from the stator cover to the hit the floor. Mine would only leak under pressure/load. The stator cover gasket it about $7.00 and very easy to change, (10) bolts. Make sure to use some RVT or silicone on the seams between the head and the case, and also over the stator's wiring.

Now go wash that bike. :icon_biggrin: They live on a gravel road?

Look higher on the engine and make sure the oil isn't from there. The stuff will travel a long way. Other members have posted about oil leaks that were finally diagnosed as valve cover leaks. The oil would go down into the sparkplug recess, and out a drain hole onto the engine. Mine had a small leak coming from the top right. I found the cam pulse generator loose. Retorque of the mounting screws seems to have fixed it.

It might be worth doing a torque on all bolts in that area. Use a torque wrench and the proper specs. Many of the values are much less than what you would do "by feel".

Now go wash that bike. They live on a gravel road?

actually, yeah they did live on a gravel road. Lots of dust and shit. Looked like they never washed their cars either, both were a really light brown color from all the dirt. Inside of their house was pretty nice though.

Look higher on the engine and make sure the oil isn't from there. The stuff will travel a long way. Other members have posted about oil leaks that were finally diagnosed as valve cover leaks. The oil would go down into the sparkplug recess, and out a drain hole onto the engine. Mine had a small leak coming from the top right. I found the cam pulse generator loose. Retorque of the mounting screws seems to have fixed it.

It might be worth doing a torque on all bolts in that area. Use a torque wrench and the proper specs. Many of the values are much less than what you would do "by feel".

I will look in the service manual for how to spec these bolts. Good info.. I'll check it shortly.

Went out this morning to check and there was no oil on the ground so we'll see how things turn out.