CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Sprocket loose, yes the nut is tight....

Crew Dawg Dave

I have a 97 XX and it has 45,000 miles on it. I just picked it up and I was changing the Chain found the front sprocket loose, as in it moves right to left, rocking, as if it is floating on the output shaft, the nut and washer was there and tight on the output shaft. It is an OEM sprocket and quite possible the original one from the factory.

There did not appear to be any undo wear on the output shaft.

Has any one run across this before???

This is not normal is it???

All the other bikes I have messed with, the front sprocket did not "float"....

I have a 97 XX and it has 45,000 miles on it. I just picked it up and I was changing the Chain found the front sprocket loose, as in it moves right to left, rocking, as if it is floating on the output shaft, the nut and washer was there and tight on the output shaft. It is an OEM sprocket and quite possible the original one from the factory.

Surprising... mine is held quite tight by gobs of chainlube gunk :icon_biggrin:

normal

+1 on the centering effects of chain lube and dirt. :icon_clap:

I only hope that free floating sprocket is centered when the automatic locking materials are deposited.

Honda thinks of everything. :icon_liar:

Mine was the same way when I changed both sprockets with the chain at 48K on my 2000 XX. The new sprocket was a little tighter when installed. It appeared that the old sprocket splines had worn over time a little, which is expected as it is designed to float somewhat as CBR Rob mentioned.

Interestingly the teeth on the "old" sprockets at 48K were nearly still a match for the new ones.

Bill

Guest rockmeupto125

Yes, as others have noted, the sprocket should float on the countershaft. Be sure to lubricate the shaft well with a clinging lubricant.