CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone know why the 12K service runs $450?

fsufan8

Who want's to join me

:icon_popcorn:

Ha ha ....the show is over. No more bitch slapping each other ...I apologize for my comments. Just wanted some good solid advice for someone that can't spend every weekend in the garage tinkering with the bike. I haven't even washed it since I bought it ....just have too many other priorities at home at the moment so when it comes to vehicle maintenance, I typically just rely on the experts at the dealerships.

I got good advice from most and the least this thread did was talk myself out of chumping over $450 to get butt raped. I mean, come on ....this is a Honda. These things are bullet proof, right?

Will ...thanks for the invite. Definitely want to take you up on it ...I'll see what I can take care of this weekend w/ maintenance and let you know what I can't do and see if you/Tom can show me the ropes. Have fun at TBME! Oh, and I'm still good for bringing a case of beer.

Steve

Who want's to join me

:icon_popcorn:

Ha ha ....the show is over. No more bitch slapping each other ...I apologize for my comments. Just wanted some good solid advice for someone that can't spend every weekend in the garage tinkering with the bike. I haven't even washed it since I bought it ....just have too many other priorities at home at the moment so when it comes to vehicle maintenance, I typically just rely on the experts at the dealerships.

I got good advice from most and the least this thread did was talk myself out of chumping over $450 to get butt raped. I mean, come on ....this is a Honda. These things are bullet proof, right?

Will ...thanks for the invite. Definitely want to take you up on it ...I'll see what I can take care of this weekend w/ maintenance and let you know what I can't do and see if you/Tom can show me the ropes. Have fun at TBME! Oh, and I'm still good for bringing a case of beer.

Steve

The bad part about the "experts" is that sometimes in the haste to get one bike off the rack and get the next one on, they miss shit, fuck up shit, install shit wrong, etc. I had someone do my brakes a few years ago on my Kat and on the way home I noticed a part dragging. I got home safely and noticed that the caliper mount wasn't bolted in. Had that part caught a hole in the ground it would have thrown me off at speed. Needless to say I called them, gave them a royal reaming, and had them come get the bike and take it in their truck back to fix it, then double checked the work after it was done. Since then, besides tire changes, I've tried not to have the dealer do ANY services for me, and I'm hoping to one day get the garage on point, or some spot in the basement, where I can set up a tire mount and balance spot too, then they can kiss my ass unless the motor lunches itself, and in that case I'm just gonna buy a new one.

The bad part about the "experts" is that sometimes in the haste to get one bike off the rack and get the next one on, they miss shit, fuck up shit, install shit wrong, etc. I had someone do my brakes a few years ago on my Kat and on the way home I noticed a part dragging. I got home safely and noticed that the caliper mount wasn't bolted in. Had that part caught a hole in the ground it would have thrown me off at speed. Needless to say I called them, gave them a royal reaming, and had them come get the bike and take it in their truck back to fix it, then double checked the work after it was done. Since then, besides tire changes, I've tried not to have the dealer do ANY services for me, and I'm hoping to one day get the garage on point, or some spot in the basement, where I can set up a tire mount and balance spot too, then they can kiss my ass unless the motor lunches itself, and in that case I'm just gonna buy a new one.

True, true ....it's hit or miss, especially the places that are extra busy. The place I go to is mostly very busy but they seem to really know their shit and are really nice but again, them being busy = greater chance at missing something. Good thing your issue didn't launch you off the bike!

You know, I think I called the Harley dealership or something. I just found my owners manual and checked the "actual" 12K service interval (should have done that before I posted this thread or called the dealer) and all it says to do is replace the air filter, inspect the engine idle, inspect the EEC, replace brake/clutch fluid, and inspect brakes. Where the hell did plugs come from? Those are scheduled at: inspect - 16K, replace - 32K. And I told the guy it was an XX ...he was way off ....he mentioned changing plugs, coolant, and a bunch of other BS. I know he said plugs b/c he said they were real expensive. He must have a hot date this weekend and needs some spending cash ...fucker!

I checked the receipt for the brake/clutch stainless lines that the previous owner installed ....the work was done in Sept. 04' and the installer used (2) brake fluids ....since the bike has mostly highway miles and the clutch/brakes fluid appears to be crystal clear through the windows, I will put this off until 20K or so. So as of now, all I'm doing is oil, oil filter, and air filter.

Even though this thread started out as a fist fight, it turned out pretty damn good. I can do this stuff on Sat. and will cost me about ...?? $75? Awesome ...thanks all for your input and waking me up to doing this shit myself.

Steve

Steve,

Glad you had your eyes opend and a good vaginal flushing !! :icon_biggrin:

Try not to ever refer to dealership mechanics as being "experts". Most of them are there because they can't make it any place else on their own. I have a good friend that is the lead tech at a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealership and he has always told me not to bring my Bird into the dealership. I have been to his house a couple times for help and there is nothing like learning for yourself with "expert" help to assist. You know it is right when done that way. My friend is at the dealership for the benefits for his wife and two kids. He makes almost as much on the side at home.

There are many private reputable shops that can do what you are not able to do yourself, not to mention the many wrench's here on the Forum.

Sorry but I am still trying to imagine changing the brake lines out and not emptying out the resevoir !! :icon_duh: