CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to install replacement clutch kit

Mikey

I've picked up the rebuild kit for the clutch. Anyone done this yet? I don't want to take it all apart just to find it's a pain in the ass and I'm stranded.

You mean replacement disks? What's wrong with yours?

Really? you gave no indication there was anything remotely wrong with your clutch.

I was worried mine was going a couple of years ago, but I changed the oil I was using (Mobil 1 red cap) and that fixed it right up.

Let me know when you're ready to do the pool. Corynne and I will gladly shoot down there and give you a hand.

marty

Oops, sorry guys, yah I was vague wasn't I. No the disks are fine, it's the lever. It's notchy, not a smooth pull. Seems to me that the rubber gasket has swelled or something because it's really close to sticking. The replacement kit wasn't too expensive 40 bucks maybe. Looks like it's doable, has a C clip. Basically it replaces the plunger system up at your lever.

Now, has anyone done THIS?

Guest rockmeupto125

Nothing wrong with your clutch hydraulics.

I bet you've got a pile of grunge on your clutch rod. When you change chain and sprockets, do you pull it out and clean it?

You think? I had it out not too long ago. I'll pop it off and clean it. When I explained the problem to the dealer, they said honda had a kit for the clutch. It'd be nice if it's that simple.

Guest rockmeupto125

You think? I had it out not too long ago. I'll pop it off and clean it. When I explained the problem to the dealer, they said honda had a kit for the clutch. It'd be nice if it's that simple.

Here's the best pics I can find. Once you pull the sprocket cover off, you'll see the clutch actuation rod that travels from the left side of the case to the right side. Pull it out gently, and you'll probably find all matter of shit caked on it. Clean it off well (try not to use sandpaper), grease the contact area at the tip, and reinsert.

post-33-1149117674_thumb.jpg

post-33-1149117710_thumb.jpg

post-33-1149117739_thumb.jpg

post-33-1149117773_thumb.jpg

You mentioned the lever.

I bet cleaning the slave rod will fix your problem.

If not, have you removed the lever and lubricated the pivot point? Also on my other bike, I ran 18 years with the origional clutch fluid. :icon_redface:

It was getting sticky. The fluid was dirty, and bleeding all the dirty fluid out helped.

Ok, I'll do what you guys suggest (I know the lever pivot is ok, since I recently cleaned and greased that). I'll do what Joe suggests and ..uh...put grease at the end of my rod before putting it in..hehehe. I'll even change the fluid just to be safe.

Guest rockmeupto125

Ok, I'll do what you guys suggest (I know the lever pivot is ok, since I recently cleaned and greased that). I'll do what Joe suggests and ..uh...put grease at the end of my rod before putting it in..hehehe. I'll even change the fluid just to be safe.

Given the circumstances, perhaps you should consider covering it with a protective sheath....