CBR1100XX.org Forum

XM Radio Question

SLyFoXX

I just installed xm radio on the bike, I have some buzzing in the headset.

I have it connected to a communication device, not sure of the name...

Question is what could cause this and how can I correct it

If your comm system and/or your SAT are powered by the bike, it is likely ignition noise. If either/both are battery operated, I don't have any answers for you, but if they are powered by the bike...

I had the same issue with my comm system (IntaRide). The system alone would whine at idle, then buzz as the revs got over ~1500. Adding music covered the problem a little, but you could tell the noise was still there.

I assumed it was coming from the power being routed near the coils. I bought a noise filter from Crutchfield (~$20, shipped), ran a hot from an accessory block back by the battery to the filter near the air intake, left side. The filter output goes to my IntaRide and the accessory power jack I installed, used largely for the iPaq running GPS/music - it runs out of gas before I do. My phone and comm radio run off their respective batteries.

Crutchfield Noise Filter: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-owuX2b4p3rk/c...noise&i=003S15A

You may have better luck finding a filter at a local stereo shop, none of mine had anything to do the trick. Be careful with quality, it makes a difference - I'd be skeptical of a $4.99 Pep Boys special. The Crutchfield filter does both the power and the ground.

If you power your comm system AND the GPS off the filter, it should clear it up.

My system is nice and quiet now, it did the trick for me.

HTH,

Mike