CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain replacement

Flitemdic

I replaced the chain and both sprokets last night. I did alot of research into how to get it right, but now have a couple of monday morning quarterback questions. Does the front sproket need a coating of grease against the shaft? The chain came lubed. I didn't see anything about doing anything special in any of the manuals or online stuff, or on the box. However, this morning, I came across an article that advocated getting all that packing lube off, and reoiling the chain. What about this? The master link and O rings were already lubed, too, and this article said to make sure you apply lube to the link and o-rings to prevent early wearing out. Now, I'm second guessing and ready to pull it and start over. Any thoughts?

It's an RK X chain, attached to OEM 17/45 set up- this from 16/45 I had on previously.

• 4 months later...

I replaced the chain and both sprokets last night. I did alot of research into how to get it right, but now have a couple of monday morning quarterback questions. Does the front sproket need a coating of grease against the shaft? The chain came lubed. I didn't see anything about doing anything special in any of the manuals or online stuff, or on the box. However, this morning, I came across an article that advocated getting all that packing lube off, and reoiling the chain. What about this? The master link and O rings were already lubed, too, and this article said to make sure you apply lube to the link and o-rings to prevent early wearing out. Now, I'm second guessing and ready to pull it and start over. Any thoughts?

It's an RK X chain, attached to OEM 17/45 set up- this from 16/45 I had on previously.

Flitemedic, how are you liking that chain? I'm up to 16K and it's about time for a new chain. I don't want to be the guy who goes cheap but I don't need anything beyond function either. What sources should I use to price and purchase a chain? Thanks.