CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mounting helmet locks on clutch & brake reservoirs?

bpg

Would there any problem with mounting these on the clutch and brake reservoir lids?:

"IPB Image"

Yeah, it's dorky as hell, but it would be MUCH cheaper than bar-end locks, extremely convenient for commuting, and not really mess up the looks of the bike terribly bad.. Kinda cluttered up there already, so...

They are flat on the bottom, I could even grind them to match the slight curvature of the lids better. I would use a pan-head screw with a rubber washer to prevent leaking.

Crazy, or a decent idea?

For one thing, a phillips head screwdriver would pop the lids and your helmets off pretty easily.

:icon_cool: Good point - though I'm not sure that a causal thief or just someone messing with the bike would bother - nor is my gear THAT nice, LOL! Maybe replace the Phillips reservoir screws with Torx screws?

THe other thing is: what is somebody DOES steal your helmets off of there by taking or breaking off the covers... That leaves brake fluid all over your bike, eating up your paint and plastic... Plus, you can't ride it home...

Mike

THe other thing is: what is somebody DOES steal your helmets off of there by taking or breaking off the covers... That leaves brake fluid all over your bike, eating up your paint and plastic... Plus, you can't ride it home...

Mike

I would imagine if they pulled hard enough that there may be a possibility of spilling fluid all over, why not just lock them to your grab handle? or your wheel?

and they'd look stupid locked to your reserviors.

my 2cents worth.

theres a market for used lids?

The other thing I happened to think... Wouldn't it be cheaper for somebody to steal your helmet, than to replace the master cylinder anyway?

BTW, why don't you want to use the stock ones??

Mike

Steel fixture on an aluminum casting. Not a good idea.

A thin casting at that. You don't want to drill holes in that and let in more moisture to your system.

GOT to be another/better surface you can mount them on.

You may as well go all the way gay and put what I did on the back of my Bird. I couldn't use the stock locks with my Schuberth (no D ring), so I installed one of these:

Helmet Guardian

It's super easy, plus it gives a locking point to thread a thin cable through if I want to lock my jacket to the bike.

My under-seat mounts for the helmets work just fine...what's wrong with those?

I agree they "work", but from a commuting standpoint they're a PITA - especially if using a tailbag...

Steel fixture on an aluminum casting. Not a good idea.

A thin casting at that. You don't want to drill holes in that and let in more moisture to your system.

GOT to be another/better surface you can mount them on.

That's what I'm tryin' to find - a decent small flat surface where I can lock a helmet and jacket real quick-like, preferably while still seated... Maybe an inner fairing panel would be a better option, hmmmm...

The other option is full dork mode - hard luggage tail-bag, all the time...

:icon_cool:

thx for all the feedback!!