CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear Brake Bleed Question

bhanxx

Okydoky, Xman and me got the Galfer SS Fronts installed as well as all fluid for front, rear and clutch replaced. My rear brake barely works on 1st push, about 80% on 2nd push and 100% on 3rd. This being my first time bleeding LBS, it's obvious I screwed up somewhere (we were following oem manual rotation). I'm assuming somewhere in that LBS plumbing nightmare is some air that ain't suppose to be there. I thought everything was looking great thru the tubes b4 final closure of bleeder valves.

Any recommendations will be mucho appreciated (e.g. which bleeder valve to start with, rotation order, etc.). Or just start over on rear bleeders in oem recommended sequence?

Thanks in advance...

You will go through A LOT of fluid before it is right. In my experience.......when I did the line transplant last year, I had to go through one of the BIG bottles of fluid before I found resistance in the lines.

I also followed the sequence in the manual, it works, but you will have to do it a few times. I found tapping on the calipers witht he plastic handle of a screwdriver also helped release tiny air bubbles.

I had to go for a short ride, looking for pothiles and such to work the suspension good. Then return and bleed again. I bleed the nipples that were connected tot he front brake first, then the rear. After that, it was perfect!!

The air works itself up to the reserviors during this initial ride, so I am told. At any rate, it took the better part of 2 hours for me to bleed the Bird by myself. When you think you should be done, you are prolly about half way :icon_wink::icon_lol:

Good luck :icon_biggrin:

It took my pop and me about 4 hours to do a thorough bleed, front and back. We used a combination of the Mighty-Vac and good old-fashioned pump-and-bleed.

I still anticipate another bleed session at some point in the near future, just to make sure everything is tip-top.

I had mine working good. Went for a couple hour ride and by the time I got home the rear brake was almost nonexistant. Did another bleed and got loads of air out. So far it's working good. It's a bitch.

The right front center was good, full fluid, no air bubbles :icon_dance:.

The left front center was good yesterday, i thought :icon_hand: , but rechecked and nothing but air today :icon_think: , took forever to pull thru fluid and able to bleed. Look solid no bubbles :icon_dance: .

Pull some more thru rear outside, was there immediately, bleed a couple of times no air bubbles :icon_dance: .

Pull some more thru rear center, was there immediately, bleed a couple of times, no air bubbles :icon_dance:

Test ride, rear is working about 90% on 1st depression, just a bit better on 2nd depression. So making major progress :icon_whistle: .

Will ride a few days and see how she holds.

Any suggestions super appreciated where to go from here. I guessing best bet is to ride few days and go thru bleeding process again, right?

AMA Superbike on now, Spies got the hole shot...

The right front center was good, full fluid, no air bubbles :icon_dance:.

The left front center was good yesterday, i thought :icon_hand: , but rechecked and nothing but air today :icon_think: , took forever to pull thru fluid and able to bleed. Look solid no bubbles :icon_dance: .

Pull some more thru rear outside, was there immediately, bleed a couple of times no air bubbles :icon_dance: .

Pull some more thru rear center, was there immediately, bleed a couple of times, no air bubbles :icon_dance:

Test ride, rear is working about 90% on 1st depression, just a bit better on 2nd depression. So making major progress :icon_whistle: .

Will ride a few days and see how she holds.

Any suggestions super appreciated where to go from here. I guessing best bet is to ride few days and go thru bleeding process again, right?

AMA Superbike on now, Spies got the hole shot...

I had air EVERYWHERE when I did the second bleed. You didn't change the rear lines you just flushed them right? If you just flushed them you should be good.

I had air EVERYWHERE when I did the second bleed. You didn't change the rear lines you just flushed them right? If you just flushed them you should be good.

Yep, just flushed the rear system. Everything worked great during commute this morning. Still not sure what i did wrong 1st time other than 1st time doing a LBS system going thru the learning curve. SS fronts sharpen things up nicely.