CBR1100XX.org Forum

More noise confusion...

tumble59

I have scoured the postings for information about the ~4000 RPM noise I am getting from the '02 I bought a few weeks ago. I can't really tell which side it is coming from, but it sounds like the left side. I have surmised from the postings that it is the CCT (?), but I am finding it hard to believe that a bike with 7,000 miles would already have this problem - is there any other thing that could be making this noise? The dealer said it was "normal", but that alone is enough to make me wonder.

Also, if this is the problem, and I replace it with the unit John sells, what keeps it from happening in another 6-7K? Somewhere in here, someone said that it was heat that caused the spring to fail, so what if I jet-hotted the exhaust and ran NPG (Evans Cooling Systems - Non-aqueous propylene glycol) in the cooler to lower the overall operating temp? Does anyone have any ideas/experience as to how effective this may be in controlling the heat?

Thanks

I have scoured the postings for information about the ~4000 RPM noise I am getting from the '02 I bought a few weeks ago. I can't really tell which side it is coming from, but it sounds like the left side. I have surmised from the postings that it is the CCT (?), but I am finding it hard to believe that a bike with 7,000 miles would already have this problem - is there any other thing that could be making this noise? The dealer said it was "normal", but that alone is enough to make me wonder.

Also, if this is the problem, and I replace it with the unit John sells, what keeps it from happening in another 6-7K? Somewhere in here, someone said that it was heat that caused the spring to fail, so what if I jet-hotted the exhaust and ran NPG (Evans Cooling Systems - Non-aqueous propylene glycol) in the cooler to lower the overall operating temp? Does anyone have any ideas/experience as to how effective this may be in controlling the heat?

Thanks

It is like a quick clicking noise? I have an '03 with 3000mi on it and it's been driving me crazy! I was also thinking about my CCT but i checked it yesterday, it had TWO dots on it, BUT it wasn't black. Anyone have any ideas where this noise is coming from or if my CCT is the updated one? (compared to John's)

complete failure of the cct will cause the rattling to be heard at all rpms...very constant. partial failure might be heard only at various revs and not be so consistent. cct failure CAN happen immediately too. not necessarily a gradual thing. the noise started in mine as if someone turned on a switch!

1100xx.bmp

Hi guys,

my 02 XX had the CCt go at just about bang on 7000 miles, and it was like someone had flicked a switch it happened that fast.

I swapped it with one from Jaws which has now done 20,000 miles and is still spot on.

For what it costs and the time it takes, you might as well do it, even if it's to rule it out as the cause of the problem.

Stu

Mine started making noise at about 10,000Km. Got louder until I replaced it.

If you have ANY engine noise your not sure of buy a new CCT and replace it. It's the fastest easiest way to find out for sure if it is the CCT. It's so cheep and easy to do why not rule it out.