CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valve Adjust Time

RodeRash

After 40,000 some miles, I decided that I should take a look at the valves. The result? I had one valve that was borderline tight, but within specs, and 10 valves that were out of spec loose and needed adjustment.

I didn't expect that.

Guest rockmeupto125

I find that most interesting.

Did you use a couple different gauges?

And HOW loose?

After all, they'll only tighten up..... :icon_razz:

After 40,000 some miles, I decided that I should take a look at the valves. The result? I had one valve that was borderline tight, but within specs, and 10 valves that were out of spec loose and needed adjustment.

I didn't expect that.

I am glad to hear that. I have 20,500miles on my '99 and its $300 for an adjustment(due at 16000 as per honda) or more that I may or may not need. I am in Puerto Rico and prefer to do all the service myself if at all possible. If indeed the tendency is to loosen I am thrilled. Perhaps I can handle a valve check on my own and if its out of specs drop it off at the shop. I have no shims and Im not into removing camshafts and such...Can a tight valve be heard???

Carbon build up on the valve seats maybe due to bad gas or rich mixture (or both)?

Any visible wear on the camshafts (I know this is too Kawasaki) :icon_lol: