CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charging issue?

Involute

I was mssing around with my bike today getting ready for some Track time. I put the Voltmeter on it for the hell of it and noticed about 12.5 at idle and 13.7 at 4000 RPM.

I took out the Headlight fuse and took off the mirrors and got about 13 volts at idle and just over 14 at 4000 RPM.

I do have the R1 Reg/Rec on it.

Those readings seem low to me and the Voltage going up taking the fuse out and Mirrors off are throwing me a curve.

Thoughts?

I have that set up on my '97 and that's about the readings I'm getting. After I've ridden it for awhile I will occasionally check the battery (fairly new) and it will be 13.2----good deal. This is my second R1 Reg---they both regulate it lower than what the Honda manual states.

Just make sure your connectors to the Reg/Rec are tight and held so they can't shake loose. I think that's what caused a problem with my 1st set up------oh---and battery (ground) terminals shaking loose--I now locktite them---no more problem (so far)------happy trails kel

Thanks for the info Bro. I'll sleep easier now :icon_thumbsup:

12.5V at idle seems low. I just installed a R1 r/r on my 97 and it's

13.9-14.0V at idle (it won't go up even at 4000 rpm).

But mine is a carb bike so it doesn't have to run fuel pump and computer etc...

Thanks for the info Bro. I'll sleep easier now :icon_thumbsup:

12.5V at idle seems low. I just installed a R1 r/r on my 97 and it's

13.9-14.0V at idle (it won't go up even at 4000 rpm).

But mine is a carb bike so it doesn't have to run fuel pump and computer etc...

Mines Carbed too :icon_confused:

I had the fluke on mine yesterday .. My cheapo voltmeter mounted to the bars sucks, so I was making sure it was good. I was getting 14+ volts at idle, drops down to 13.5 and thats about it ... plugged in the gerbings at full on and it still was over thirteen .. so it sounds like your output is a bit low.

Well you should test the harnesses, check the wire plugs, then test the r/r, and then test the stator.. the troubleshooting should be covered in the xx manual

Here's a good run down on troubleshooting:

Stator Problem

I had to use the Electrex troubleshooting chart mentioned in the "TESTING" portion to find the problem with my R/R. THe diagnostic procedure in the shop manual didn't reveal it.

FWIW - My output with the new R1 R/R has been about the same as yours. I usually run 12.9-13 at idle - never goes above 13.9. The old Honda R/R went to 14.7 or higher.

Yea, I'll have to give it a complete check sometime soon. If it all checks good I'll not worry about the Voltage. In all honestly, I think the bike may still have the original battery in it. It's a 98 with 44K on it. I bought it 4 years ago with 9500 on it so I can only assume the battery is original. I get it checked every year but they always say it's good. I think I'll buy a new one first and see what happens. This battery can't last too much longer anyway.

I think I'll buy a new one first and see what happens. This battery can't last too much longer anyway.

I like that idea as the first and foremost. Then dive into the other posibilities.

(And like you said, and I agree, won't last much longer anyway.)

I think I'll buy a new one first and see what happens. This battery can't last too much longer anyway.

I like that idea as the first and foremost. Then dive into the other posibilities.

+1

Yeap, that battery is old and worn, just out of curiosity, if you use a voltmeter when the bike is off, what is the battery's resting voltage? Mine is pretty new, and rests at 13 volts. Anything above 12.5 is good ... if its under 12, then replace it ... if it fries it can hurt other parts of the charging system, especcially if the system is constantly trying to keep the battery charged to no avail.

+1

Yeap, that battery is old and worn, just out of curiosity, if you use a voltmeter when the bike is off, what is the battery's resting voltage? Mine is pretty new, and rests at 13 volts. Anything above 12.5 is good ... if its under 12, then replace it ... if it fries it can hurt other parts of the charging system, especcially if the system is constantly trying to keep the battery charged to no avail.

I don't remember what it is sitting. I'll try and remember to check tonight and post the reading.