CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stuck bolt

Chizuck

I went to replace the front brake pads a couple weeks ago and had trouble getting the front fender off. The hex cavity on one of the allen bolts on the port side was a little rounded out and when I stuck the allen wrench in there it spun in the hole before enough torque was applied to unseat the bolt (it seemed to be quite tight).

So now I've got a rounded hole on a stuck bolt - anyone know of a good trick to get it undone?

You could see if you can find an SAE allen wrench that might fit and tap it in there.

Last resort calls for drilling with a left hand drill bit which might break it loose. If not, an easy out and a lttle work and it's gone. Of course then your dealing with Honda for a new bolt at 4 or 5 bux or so. The bolt is buggered anyway so you have nothing to lose.

For a one time only removal you can use a cutoff wheel in a dremel tool to make a slot for a large screwdriver. Be very careful if you do, the dremel can slip and scratch the fender. I purchased a extractor set from Fastenal that has left had bits, and extractors. They work great, but are pricey, ($70.00). If the bolt is the larger one with the dimples in it, a small punch in the dimples could be used to slowly tap the bolt loose.

If it is the upper bolt, I would lubricate it with a breaker product like liquid wrench and try the left had bits.

Thanks for the replies - a lot of good suggestions. I'm thinking I'll try them in the following order until one works:

hammer torx bit in

tap dimples with a punch

grind slot for screwdriver

drill and use extractors

Thanks again for the replies,

Chuck

Try smacking the bolt a few times with a hammer, first. It usually helps to loosen up the bolt for removal.

Also, buy a quality set of allen keys for working on the bike. They fit much better, and are less likely to cause the slipping/stripping of a cheap set.

Be careful if you're trying to dremel a slot in the screw, as well. The grinding will make heat, and could damage your fender if you're not careful.

Guest rockmeupto125

No need to drill....you already have a nice round hole there. The more you fuss with the area, the greater the likelihood you're gonna do cosmetic damage. Use the KISS principle.

That kind of thing makes me sick... If you managed to get something that grips, the only other thing I might suggest is an impact tool. Those things are brilliant for breaking things loose when there is little to work with.

On another note, you don't HAVE to take the fender off to remove the front wheel, I've done it, cuz I'm lazy... Just have to jack the front end up a little.

Good luck!

If you're still fighting it, there is also the possibility of using a little epoxy or JB-weld to fasten a bit in there and running it out. That's an adaptation of welding a functional bolt onto a stripped screw or bolt head, without the heat of a spot weld.

Best of luck, whichever route you go with it!