CBR1100XX.org Forum

Calling all 97 and 98 Carb'ed Bird Knowlege...

Obby

Ok, After replacing the Petcock valve assembly which I though fixed the 'stalling issue' that I was experiencing, the bird started stalling out in the rain again. What's weird is that it 'usually' only happens intermittenly in the rain. One day it could be a complete downpour... no problems. The other day, with misty water in the air, bird stalls out.

What's really weird is that the only thing I have to do is sit and wait about 3 minutes and she starts right up like nothing ever happened.

Before anyone asks... It's not electrical. Everything lights up fine and the bike will turn over and over quickly without any issues. Also, it's not the kill switch, i've already replaced that too (euro switch buy).

So I believe that it may be caused by the removal of the 'california emmissions equipment' that was removed by the previous owner.

Getting closer to the point. My (counting from the left) 3rd fuel rail vacuum nipple is plugged. My Petcock has two nipples on it. One is connected (front vac nip), the other is wide open. Could this be the cause? If so, where should I hook up the rear petcock vacuum line? The third fuel rail plugged line maybe?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm tired of being stranded on the hwy like I was riding a harley or something.

The Petcock only needs one vacuum line. The other one out the bottom is a vent which allows the diapragm inside to move.

If indeed the only time you have a problem is when it is very humid or raining, that would most likely be electrical. Might try replacing the vacuum line to the front side of the petcock in case it is slipping or collapsing in.

Hey, I might actually be able to help with this one. Try replacing the vacuum hoses- all you can find. If this is happening at a particular temp and/or humidity, it might be that at a particular point, the crack in the tube is opening just enough to kill vacuum, and the bike dies. Kind of the same idea as above.

I know when I hooked mine up wrong, it developed all kinds of issues at different temps.

My 0.02

Before anyone asks... It's not electrical. Everything lights up fine and the bike will turn over and over quickly without any issues. Also, it's not the kill switch, i've already replaced that too (euro switch buy).

It CAN be electrical. The enging turning over just means the starter works.

It sounds ignition related, possibly a coil going bad, a plug wire, ignition box, signal from ignition pickup, etc.

intermittent electrical problems drive all mechanics crazy.

I would strip off all the body work and get a sprayer and start misting water on all the ignition components and try to get it to act up.

There should have been a few questions mentioned about when it dies.

Does the bike run sparatic and then quit, or just suddenly up and quit?

First it starts sputtering, then within 10 seconds it starts bogging out and dies. I can usually feel it comming on, it's not a quick on/off type of thing.

One other thing that may help, it's never happened at say 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Only at 1/16th to 1/8th throttle. Usually when I'm decellerating or just barely using the throttle at all.

Typical synario, I'm riding about 30`40mph lane splitting in bad traffic on the hwy.

Hope that helps!

First it starts sputtering, then within 10 seconds it starts bogging out and dies. I can usually feel it comming on, it's not a quick on/off type of thing.

One other thing that may help, it's never happened at say 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Only at 1/16th to 1/8th throttle. Usually when I'm decellerating or just barely using the throttle at all.

Obby,

Thats exactly how my bike acted a few weeks ago when the vacuum line came off the fuel petcock. Basically the bike runs out of gas. I would replace that vacuum line. It would be cheap enough just to try and rule out.

Thanks everyone! I got some good feedback here.

I'm going to check/replace the vacuum lines going to the petcock and try the 'wet spray testing' too.

This problem has become a real issue with me as my XX is my primary form of transportaion to work.

I'm really close to buying something else to commute with as my bird is becomming less and less reliable lately.

Maybe a 2003 XX is in my future :icon_dance: as I've never seen anything close that has the same characteristics as the XX's.

it definetely sounds like a bad vacuum ... hoses are cheap, just replace them and you narrowed it down at least. I put my vacuum line from the tank on wrong once when doing some work and it did the same thing .. ran out of gas.

it definetely sounds like a bad vacuum ... hoses are cheap, just replace them and you narrowed it down at least. I put my vacuum line from the tank on wrong once when doing some work and it did the same thing .. ran out of gas.

+1

If it were ignigtion related, I'd be really suprised. This sounds like a fuel issue if I ever heard one. R/R all the vac lines you can reach. I'd lay money on the option of it being a fuel starvation problem at light throttle with high vacumn.