CBR1100XX.org Forum

question about cbr600rr

AXXKicker

brother has the fairing off his 2005 cbr600rr today and ended up calling me a few times about various things.

3 questions, really:

1. coolant. he lives in tampa. the engine coolant catch tank shows a level well below the lower level line (both on sidestand and vertical). does he need to purchase honda coolant, or can he just go to pep boys and get a regular gallon of green stuff for 1/4 the price? is it harmful to mix-n-match green coolant? (i know about mixing it with orange).

(corollary to #1: is the propylene glycol additive ("engine ice") helpful, hurtful, or indifferent?)

2. brake fluid. his fluid is getting dark. he's never bled brakes before. and honestly, neither have i. there is a cycle gear near him. for front and rear, the stealership wants $200. i think i remember seeing a quote for tool purchase and brake fluid in the $20 to 30 dollar range around here. suggestions? where can he go for a reference (ie. how to bleed brakes)?

3. where can he get (download) a service manual for this bike. it seems that there was a link for them someplace, and that everyone could download 2, but i can 't find it.

thanks in advance, peoples.

brett

http://xfer.gofastvideo.com/gallery/getite...rviceManual.pdf

The manual is listed at a 03-04 CBR600rr, hopefully the 05 is the same.

The manual should list the procedure for the brakes. I don't think you need the honda antifreeze but I like to keep the same stuff in the bike. If I was going to add a bit and I knew it was honda stuff in it I'd put more honda stuff in. If I was changing the antifreeze I'd go to petboys but that's just me.