CBR1100XX.org Forum

HELP!! Changing wheel bearings

JB4XX

Been trying to knock out the front wheel bearings to change them out and they arent going anywhere. The manual shows a removal tool. Any secret way to get these out??

I have new bearings and seals sitting here. My Pilot powers will be here tomorrow and I want the wheels ready to mount.

:icon_confused:

I've never done it myself but maybe spray the shit out of them with Contact Cleaner to cool them down (shrink) and go at it again. Maybe the bores are at the bottom of the tolerance and the bearings at the high leaving you with a tight press fit.

I just drove mine out with a long punch and a hammer. It kills the old bearing, but you're gonna trash them anyway.

It was a little tough to get them started coming out. I pushed the spacer to one side and swatted the bearing races with the punch and hammer. Move your punch from side to side to keep the bearings coming out straight and they'll pop right out.

I just drove mine out with a long punch and a hammer. It kills the old bearing, but you're gonna trash them anyway.

It was a little tough to get them started coming out. I pushed the spacer to one side and swatted the bearing races with the punch and hammer. Move your punch from side to side to keep the bearings coming out straight and they'll pop right out.

Jimmy has it down perfect.

Beat them silly, they'll eventually move.

Either that or drive that cute ass up here and we can press them out.

+1

Just keep tappin'. It's easier and safer for the hub to alternate from side to side with the punch.

When you use the drift (punch) to push them out from the opposite side, don't forget to work your way around using decent hits. Don't hit it as hard as you can because it'll cause one side to go out too far and will litterally lock itself inplace. So agressive hits alternating sides so that it comes out as even as possible.

They've got it all down pat as to how I do it too, but I usually use something more like a big flathead screwdriver. It's a PITA to get started, but they will come out.

Oh yeah, and don't slip on a plastic bag on your way out of the garage to go get a tool out of your truck and end up screaming like a little bitch on the ground because you COMPLETELY SEPARATED EVERY TENDON IN YOUR ANKLE. That takes "3rd degree" sprain to a whole 'nother level, when it's not just one, but ALL of them. Then your bike sits on jack stands for 4 weeks while your foot reattaches itself.

And..

Do not slip while hitting a flat head screwdriver towards your wheel bearings putting the screwdriver through the piece of flesh between your thumb and index finger.

:icon_eh:

The bearings are out. :icon_wink: