CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hugger question

Redd

After installing my OEM hugger....it fit like shit. The right top side of the hugger was completely touching the top of the tire...it wasnt aligned, the hugger looked a bit crooked. After my fingers froze solid and several hours in the garage, I believe I fixed the problem. I shimmed up the right side of the hugger with extra weatherstripping and washer, it fit snug on the swingarm but still didnt remedy the problem. So I went to the chain side of the bike and took out the stupid spacers they gave me with the hugger and screwed that side on with out the spacers....it pinched the hugger together enough to lift it off the tire on the left side and center it more. The question I have is this...

Exactly how much clearance should there be between the hugger and tire? Stock tires BTW.

Thanks.

I have a pyramid hugger on my 01 and there is only 1/4 inch around the tire. Its close but had no problems for a year. Watch the clearance if you have an aftermarket undertail on the bike. The mototeck undertail was rubbing against the hugger. I switched to a pyramid undertail and things are good.

I've got about a 1/4" clearance on the sides and top. My CF hugger was a little tweaked when it showed up, I used a heat gun on it after installing it to even everything out. It's CF and epoxy so it takes to heat fairly well.

Redd- you going to get rub marks and scratching on the swingarm without those spacers?

No I dont think so, It's on pretty tight. If any it would be minimal. Thanks for bringing that up, I had not thought about that.

Heat gun....great idea.

From the very beginning I thought the plastic was warped. Everone I talked to had such success, perfect fits with this type of hugger. Not me...(of course)

If I run through dirt, you can hear it rubbing the hugger. I elongated the mopunting holes and that seemed to help, then I went and installe Pirelli Diablo tires and the damn thing runs just like before. I've gotten to the point that it doesnt bother me as I can't keep elongating the mounting holes forever. I probably have 10k miles on this hugger with it occasionally making noise. I have also tried shimming under the brake line brackets to no avail. It pisses me off, but I'm not going to reman the swingarm and brackets for something this minor. :icon_duh: (and yes, I have tried the heat gun trick) - no advice for you, but just letting you know you aren't alone :icon_biggrin:

Charlie