CBR1100XX.org Forum

HELP BIKE WONT START

devilisht2003

the other day i took the tank and air box off to look at the PAIR reeds (which are ok) but it all back on and tried to start.....nothin but back fires every few seconds.

let it set a day or 2 while i was busy....tried it this morning so i can ride on my day off and same....bang...bang...bang...bang....till the battery is to low to crank it over.

took the tank and airbox off agian and checked the PAIR again, everything looks fine but then again...bang...bang...bang...bang....till dead battery

ideas?

I assume the bike ran OK before you removed the tank and airbox.

1) Did you have the plug wires off? If so, did you reinstall them correctly?

2) Did you pull the coils to remove the airbox? If so, did you accidentally knock one of the wires off? Is one of the coils wires grounded out or touching the frame somehow?

Check those two vacuum lines going into the petcock. No lines no gas.

My 2 cents.

Another way I tested if it was a fuel related issue on mine once... I removed the tank and pour gas in the carbs. It started right up and ran for a bit.

Hey trav,

Like they said, It sounds like you forgot to connect something or reversed something. Make sure you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on.

Can you be a little more descriptive on "bang,bang,bang......."?

Hold off on dumping fuel in the stacks

Definately sounds like you knocked a wire off the coils or got the plug wires mixed up as I would think the bike would have started off the fuel left in the carb bowls. Still not a bad idea to check the lines on your petcock and make sure they are connected and in good condition. Lastly make sure you don't have the fuel valve turned off :icon_biggrin:

I hear you about not having time... I've been without my bird for a week and a half (wheel bearing issue). After work and loooong ass commute now, I'm shot.

Good luck, we're root'n for ya!

Ol' Granpappy Flitemdic used to say it's either spark or fuel- ain't much else to figure on when it sounds like what you're describing. Are you at least smelling fuel? If it's not that, I hate to be a repeater, but otherwise it sounds like some crossed or loose wires. Mine at least kicked over and ran rough when the vac tubes were crossed up.

If it won't even sputter using starter fluid, it sure sounds like an ignition problem to me. If it ran before you took the tank off and won't run now, it seems reasonable that something you did during the process is causing the trouble. Coil wires touching metal, cross wired, etc.

Can you pull a plug wire off and see if you are getting a spark?

FINALLY GOT IT YAY! :icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance:

pulled the plugs and they were NASTY....went got new ones and fired up on the first crank!!!!

thanks for the help guys

nothing more to see here....

FINALLY GOT IT YAY! :icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance:

pulled the plugs and they were NASTY....went got new ones and fired up on the first crank!!!!

thanks for the help guys

nothing more to see here....

Gotta love the easy/cheep fixes... but it is a honda after all....

just had the same problem cleaned air filter charged battery after a few minutes cranking (on and off of coarse) if fired i suspect fouled plugs (i think some water got sprayed in to ram air ducks)

a good 100mph run seemed to clean it out

I was happy as a pig is shit when it started

like i said in the posts lookng for help i had a sick feeling in my gut for 3 days

02bird

Glad the plugs did the trick!

One question though, How the heck do people foul the plugs? I've ridden my XX for 28k without any plug related issue at all.

I've worked on other's Hondas and had a Shadow with a carb before my FI bird. It only takes one flooding for the plugs to foul on that Shadow, the plugs are toasted. I got so tired of replacing em, I kept 4 in my tank bag and would swap em out whenever they fouled, clean em up for next time. Comparatively, to a car, the spark is horribly weak. Even had a friends rebel that fouled only one side from my garage to the end of the culdesac. Swapped em, clean the fouled one and it's been running ever since. Go figure. And he was telling me I didn't know what I was doing, :icon_whistle:

Even though those carbs were set correctly, with the weather warming and all that it might be a good idea to get practice on cab adjustment and plug reading.

Johnny