CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine Temp

MadOx

Went to Daytona this week and although the temps stayed around 80 I could not but help watch my XX engine temps. It started OK cruising at about 185 to 200. When in traffic it got up to 235 and I shut it off. When does the fan come on and is it adequate for hotter weather?

After the 235 I am thinking about chainging oil.

Not to sound like a prick, but there are probably 50 different threads on high running temperatures on this board.

Do a search in the garage, and you'll come up with all of the information you need.

FWIW, 235 isn't that hot. You shouldn't start to worry until you see 250.

You will find that the temps will be high in stop and go traffic, or if you are following anything that disrupts the air to your nose. I have seen High temps, 254 or 257? at Daytona. My 01 gauge started flashing at those temps. I felt that the fan was not sufficient, but someone has posted that the water pump is designed to flow properly at higher RPM's. I would change my oil soon, but others might not. Also check the coolant level, you may have pushed some coolant if your radiator cap is a little weak.

You would be amazed how much heat the OEM plastics actually trap and cause the fan to have to run constantly at red lights. I am currently in the process of going the naked route, and my XX cooling fan actually cycles now while sitting at red lights. -Edit-... Sorry didn't answer your question. The fan on my bike comes on at 220F so like Northman said 235 isn't too bad.

When running slow, 35 mph or so, 80+ temps, mine will climb to the low 200's. Fans come on at 214 and hold there even stopped at a light. Same temps at 60 or so will run 180, thermostat opens at 174. Mine is an '01 and heat just doesn't seem to be one of its problems. I do keep an eye on coolant and I just changed it about 5K miles ago. 50-50 mix. 230 to 240 isn't all that high IMHO, I wouldn't worry overmuch.