CBR1100XX.org Forum

fork spring and spacer length

scott s.

iam installing race tech 1.0 springs. the new springs are longer than the stock, do i just cut the spacer so the total length of the old spring and spacer is the same length as the new spring and spacer. thanks

scott s. xx

iam installing race tech 1.0 springs. the new springs are longer than the stock, do i just cut the spacer so the total length of the old spring and spacer is the same length as the new spring and spacer. thanks

scott s. xx

In the box are DIRECTIONS on how long you need to make the spacers LOL. Measure each side and cut them as the springs may be slightly different. Basically you lower the forks, drop the springs in and the washer on top and measure the distance to the top (lets say 5in). Then measure the fork cap from where the spring sits to the lip of the cap(lets say its 2in). 5in-2in is 3in of free space. RT usually specifies 20mm of preload so 3in(76mm) + 20mm is 96mm(3.75in). Hope that helps, but seriously, they have good directions in the box.

scott s. xx

It's not that simple because your old spring and new spring have different rate so if

you cut the same length, they won't be the same.

When I installed mine, I used some PVC tube (easy to cut) cut to different length

and installed them until I get the correct preload then I cut the metal spacers.

scott s. xx

It's not that simple because your old spring and new spring have different rate so if

you cut the same length, they won't be the same.

When I installed mine, I used some PVC tube (easy to cut) cut to different length

and installed them until I get the correct preload then I cut the metal spacers.

on my race techs a 130 mm spacer gives about 25 mm of preload