CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike is making odd/bad noise. HELP!!!

Mykl

My bike has 27,000 miles on it. It sat for a month, I started it up and went for a ride and it was making a bad sound. The best way I can describe it is like a chain rubbing against a hollow metal pipe, like an exhaust pipe. But it's not the drive chain, it's adjusted correctly.

When I bog the bike down in a higher gear at 2000 RPM's and accelerate it does it quite prominently. Otherwise it mainly only does it at part throttle beginning at 4000-5000 RPM's and does it on and off until redline. It makes the noise at full throttle, but not so much, not so loud, and still on and off through the rev range. It doesn't seem to affect rideability at all, because the bike still rides great and there's no loss of power.

The noise doesn't appear to be vehicle speed dependent, although I can barely hear it in the first two gears. That makes me think that it's engine speed dependent, but it won't make the noise if the bike is free revving in neutral.

I'm going to change the oil tomorrow to make sure there's nothing bad in the crank case. But if that's not it, what the heck could it be? I'm stumped and I'm trying to sell this bike. I want the money, but I really can't sell somebody a broken machine.

I changed the CCT today... and the noise is still there.

Ya, check the chain. I had a noise that I could not pin down for the life of me, yet it turned out to be the chain. It looked fine, was within spec on being tight, and was well lubed, but there was one link that was bad that made the terrible noise.

I think you guys are right. I put the bike on stands and put it in gear. The chain was all over the place when the throttle was applied to accelerate the rear wheel. The chain should be nice and tight against the sprockets when power is being pushed through it, right?

It's irritating because the chain is almost brand new. I replaced it last Fall. But since the bike hasn't been ridden too much I haven't been lubing it nearly as much as I should. The bike sits outside under a tarp. I guess maybe the moisture got to it and some of the links got rusted.

At least I *hope* that's all it is. It seems to make sense....

Putting the bike on the center stand and running it as you described is not a valid test. They will do as you describe when brand new. There is no drag on the rear wheel for the chain to overcome so the wheel will spin forward and cause that lashing your seeing.

Just put it up on the stand and check it carefully by pushing up on the lower side of the chain for tight spots. If there aren't any and the tension is correct (about 1" of play works for me)--I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

Good luck and happy trails kel