CBR1100XX.org Forum

My blackbird update and some more help needed

Obby

Here's a quick update for some of the problems I've posted:

HID Problems - Failing to lightup unless I used the key-on method.

- Turns out that my batt. charge was too low (not by much either). HID seems needs a full charge. This brings...

Charging Problems - Bird looses a charge in a week.

Either my Reg./Rec. or Stator or combo is not charging my battery consistently. In any case, it seemed to go away :icon_confused: . Now it may only need to be recharged twice a month or so.

Dead Bird - Bird leaves me stranded on hwy when it rains.

A few times the engine would just act like it was out of gas, slowly bogging out until it would die. Then it would be hard/impossible to restart. After letting it sit a while, I found it would start back up.

This turned out to be a faulty Petcock diaphram. I just replace the whole assembly though.

Now for the new problem...

Pulsating front brakes -

When I grab the brakes, I feel a pulsation in the lever. If I grab hard enough, I'll hear a whinning grrrrr.... sound. I though it was the pads, so I replaced them with the EBC Double HH ones again (love those). BTW - they were only half gone after 25k miles on them :icon_eek: .

Any ideas? Or will this just go away using Honda's Blackbird self-healing technology too.

When I grab the brakes, I feel a pulsation in the lever. If I grab hard enough, I'll hear a whinning grrrrr.... sound. I though it was the pads, so I replaced them with the EBC Double HH ones again (love those). BTW - they were only half gone after 25k miles on them

Does the rate of the pulsing change with speed? Sounds like you may have a bent rotor. That's the first thing I'd check, anyway.

And get that charging issue figured out so I can get my $20 for Maple Bar Boy :icon_wink:

When I grab the brakes, I feel a pulsation in the lever. If I grab hard enough, I'll hear a whinning grrrrr.... sound. I though it was the pads, so I replaced them with the EBC Double HH ones again (love those). BTW - they were only half gone after 25k miles on them

Does the rate of the pulsing change with speed? Sounds like you may have a bent rotor. That's the first thing I'd check, anyway.

And get that charging issue figured out so I can get my $20 for Maple Bar Boy :icon_wink:

LOL, I knew someone had a bet on it.

I've been keeping my eye on it, checking the charging levels at different times. It's seems to be putting out a consistent 13.5 now. Go figure :icon_eh: . Not sure what's going on, but I keep charging it anyways every couple of weeks. Every now and again it actually needs charging. In any case, I'm just going to replace both the reg/rec and stator so I guess you both won the bet :icon_smile: . Buy each other a donut and call it even :icon_razz:

As for the brakes, I'll test them at various speeds and let you know. From what I can remember, it does it at all speeds, but not really bad until I really lay into them.

Thanks,

Obby

I am with Redbird on the pulsating brakes. Sounds like a warped rotor to me. Pay close attention to whether it is the lever or the whole bike pulsating.

Sounds like a good reason to get some blingy wave rotors to me. :icon_whistle:

I am with Redbird on the pulsating brakes. Sounds like a warped rotor to me. Pay close attention to whether it is the lever or the whole bike pulsating.

So that's how I'll sell it to the wifee.

"but honey... you don't want me to not be able to stop, do you?".

So that's how I'll sell it to the wifee.

"but honey... you don't want me to not be able to stop, do you?".

Obby, I have an extra rotor if one turns out to be bent ... let me know which one it is, as I can't remember. Free if its the correct one.

I've been keeping my eye on it, checking the charging levels at different times. It's seems to be putting out a consistent 13.5 now.

If this reading is taken at an engine speed no lower than 3000 RPM, and you have no other electrical accessories running, bike's all stock, only the low-beam burning, etc, then IMO, this output is just a pinch on the low side. Adequate perhaps. But not really where it oughta be.

With a truly healthy charging system, including a relatively fresh battery, you should see your voltmeter pushing somewhere in the 14.2v - 14.5v range (thereabouts) in the conditions described above.

How old is the battery (both in years, and in mileage)?

How many miles on the bike? Are the stator and R/R original?

I've been keeping my eye on it, checking the charging levels at different times. It's seems to be putting out a consistent 13.5 now.

If this reading is taken at an engine speed no lower than 3000 RPM, and you have no other electrical accessories running, bike's all stock, only the low-beam burning, etc, then IMO, this output is just a pinch on the low side. Adequate perhaps. But not really where it oughta be.

With a truly healthy charging system, including a relatively fresh battery, you should see your voltmeter pushing somewhere in the 14.2v - 14.5v range (thereabouts) in the conditions described above.

Opps, Come to mind, it may have been 14.5. I'll check it again and post later tonight.

Yep, the stator and reg./rec. are all original.

Battery was replaced 1 1/2 - 2 years ago (yuasa YTX12-BS)

Bird has 45k miles on her ( :icon_shhh: don't tell her she's getting old).

Opps, Come to mind, it may have been 14.5. I'll check it again and post later tonight.

Yep, the stator and reg./rec. are all original.

Battery was replaced 1 1/2 - 2 years ago (yuasa YTX12-BS)

Bird has 45k miles on her ( :icon_shhh: don't tell her she's getting old).

Heh my bird has 45k on it too lol, picked it up two Junes ago with 6k on it ... should hit 75k this year ... btw, went through the same shit with my battery, thats the first thing i'd replace. And check all the connections for corrosion or whatever. And like I said, check your rotors, and let me know which one is bent, and I should be able to save you a few $$'s

Yeah, thanks Justin :icon_wink: , I'll let you know. I think it may be the rotor/s. To test the issue, I braked hard at about 65mph to 35mph, no real issue. But, when I brakes hard comming off a freeways off-ramp 35,mph to 0... bingo... grrrr... shake... really weird, like somethings loose and shaking. If I could get the bike jacked up in the front and rotate the wheel I would probably be able to find out the issue. Can i use a floor jack under the collector or engine without damaging anything??? I'm a little afraid to try :icon_whistle: .

As for the charging. Well, it's 14.5 at 3k rpm or above not 13.5 as I previously stated :icon_shhh: . As I rev'd up the engine I did see 1 spike at 17amps though. Not sure if that was a correct reading though, as it was not reproducible. Any thoughts guys?

As for the charging. Well, it's 14.5 at 3k rpm or above not 13.5 as I previously stated :icon_shhh: . As I rev'd up the engine I did see 1 spike at 17amps though. Not sure if that was a correct reading though, as it was not reproducible. Any thoughts guys?

I assume you meant 17 volts, and yeah, that ain't necessarily a good thing :icon_neutral: The fact that you can't reproduce it is encouraging, however. Could've been just a meter glitch, I suppose.

Obby,

I was seeing a steady spec voltage with a meter/highbeams/5500 RPM. Multiple testing, same results.

I was losing battery charge in as little as a day with heated gloves. Without, it would last a week or two, less if I took short trips. New stator. New battery.

My plug to the RR was fried.

HTH.

J.

Obby,

I was seeing a steady spec voltage with a meter/highbeams/5500 RPM. Multiple testing, same results.

I was losing battery charge in as little as a day with heated gloves. Without, it would last a week or two, less if I took short trips. New stator. New battery.

HTH.

J.

Thanks. As others have said here, I should really check my wiring... especially at the R/R connector.

You know... Honda makes a kick ass engine, so what's with the charging issues. All my Honda cars and bikes have had these issues.

CAN YOU HEAR ME HONDA???

Obby,

HTH.

J.

Thanks. As others have said here, I should really check my wiring... especially at the R/R connector.

You know... Honda makes a kick ass engine, so what's with the charging issues. All my Honda cars and bikes have had these issues.

CAN YOU HEAR ME HONDA???

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 700 amp BMW charging system with the XX's superb engine ... we can always dream

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 700 amp BMW charging system with the XX's superb engine ... we can always dream

No shit, I was thinking that just the other day.

Hopefully, my problems are behind me with the newest XX regulator. Although not 700w, it's enough if I can get the full wattage the stator can deliver. I'm tired of being extremely wary of what I plug in, not knowing if the bike will start at the next stop.

J.

I could get the bike jacked up in the front and rotate the wheel I would probably be able to find out the issue. Can i use a floor jack under the collector or engine without damaging anything??? I'm a little afraid to try

Put it up on the centerstand and have the wife sit on the back. that should get it up enough to do a quick check.

Pulsation is not normal but the GRRRRR sound or buzzing sound(like bees)is normal.

I could get the bike jacked up in the front and rotate the wheel I would probably be able to find out the issue. Can i use a floor jack under the collector or engine without damaging anything??? I'm a little afraid to try

Put it up on the centerstand and have the wife sit on the back. that should get it up enough to do a quick check.

Pulsation is not normal but the GRRRRR sound or buzzing sound(like bees)is normal.

LOL, my wife is like 120lbs. We tried that before, didn't work :icon_sad: . Maybe the whole family would. Or... I could sit on it and she could spin (that didn't come out right).

Here's a quick update for some of the problems I've posted:

HID Problems - Failing to lightup unless I used the key-on method.

- Turns out that my batt. charge was too low (not by much either). HID seems needs a full charge. This brings...

Charging Problems - Bird looses a charge in a week.

Either my Reg./Rec. or Stator or combo is not charging my battery consistently. In any case, it seemed to go away :icon_confused: . Now it may only need to be recharged twice a month or so.

Dead Bird - Bird leaves me stranded on hwy when it rains.

A few times the engine would just act like it was out of gas, slowly bogging out until it would die. Then it would be hard/impossible to restart. After letting it sit a while, I found it would start back up.

This turned out to be a faulty Petcock diaphram. I just replace the whole assembly though.

Now for the new problem...

Pulsating front brakes -

When I grab the brakes, I feel a pulsation in the lever. If I grab hard enough, I'll hear a whinning grrrrr.... sound. I though it was the pads, so I replaced them with the EBC Double HH ones again (love those). BTW - they were only half gone after 25k miles on them :icon_eek: .

Any ideas? Or will this just go away using Honda's Blackbird self-healing technology too.

Sounds to me that you might be needing new discs

or maybe different, harder (sinter) pads to smoothen out your disk

in any case, here in Cyprus we do not prefer EBC, cause we find them too soft and easy to make lines on the disks

Ok, finally got that bird off it's feet and spun the front wheel. Two problems... both rotors are fucked. They look like bad hubcabs spining on a car. Second, there is a loud sqealing coming from the wheel bearings. I hit it with the cure all (WD-40), which quieted it until the next day. I'm fucked :icon_evil: .

steve, are you sure its the rotors that are hosed, or is it the whole wheel spinning off kilter due to a bad bearing? With your mileage its probably due for bearings ... luckily they are cheap .. just take your wheel off and bring it to the shop and let em punch out the old ones and put in the new... those aluminium rims mar easy if you do it yourself.