CBR1100XX.org Forum

Getting rid of mice

diputsnyc

My apartment has become over run with mice. I have caught 9 mice in the last week. I have been using glue traps because I want to keep the poison away from my pets. I have been catching about 2 mice every day.

I did not get a chance to do some cleaning I wanted today because I spent the day at the Vet. Looks like one of my Parrots is very very sick.

How do i figure out how the mice got into my apartment and where they are living. I thought I had it figured out. But the mice keep gettting caught in different glue traps. I would have thought there would be a pattern where they were getting caught.

Any suggestions on ridding my apartment of mice?

Find a new apartment :icon_lol:

I had this problem in my house a couple of years ago. To trap them I used a good old fashioned mouse trap baited with peanut butter (Skippy if you must know) placed in areas where the pets could not get them. After trapping about 15 of them I started tracing the poo trail. I found a 1/4" gap in my Bilco door. I sealed the gap and haven't seen another mouse.

You need to find exactly where they come in, being in an apartment this can be difficult, and seal the entry points. Remember a 1/4" gap is all they need. Following the poo is your best bet, I felt like Elmer Fudd tracking the little bastards, but after trapping that many it had to be done.

This is the one real use for a Cat.... :icon_dance:

We have a cat :icon_confused:

Damn can't be much of a mouser then. The cat doesn't go after them?

I know the cats we had wouldn't let a mouse within 50 feet of our yard, mouse, mole or anything resembling them would be left on the step usually in pieces.

This is the one real use for a Cat.... :icon_dance:

We have a cat :icon_confused:

That should read 'We have a lazy cat' :icon_biggrin:

That he is. He screams at bugs until we kill them. Can't blame him though he's like 15 or 16 years old :icon_oldman:

I found where the critters were hiding. And from the looks of things, it has been for a really long time.

I had some boxes piled in the corner. NYC apartment, moved in 2 years ago, usual reasons... The bottom box has holes for handles. It appears the holes were used as a front door for the mice, and some breeding occured. With the addition of my bird cage nearby, they had an unlimited food source. I even cleaned it for them and kept it stocked.

The box is now sitting on a table outside and I am debating whether I should just throw everything away, or go through it and salvage what I can. As cute as mice are, they really freak me out. Yes, I am a wimp when it comes to rodents.

As an aside, I did some errands on my motorcycle today. First time since November. Sometimes I forget how much I love riding.

• 3 months later...

Airborne's standard mouse traps with crunchy peanut butter. I like the larger rat traps, it can kill both rats and mice. They can be a problem at times. Good hunting!!

I have a 6ft cow snake named thomas that I found in my garage. No mice problems like last season. I like thomas.

As a kid, I'd shoot 'em with my BB gun. I would get into the prone position, crosshairs locked in on the opening of the mouse hole, quietly waiting hours for the enemy to appear. Regular Carlos Hathcock I was.

Then one day my yells out from the basement, "WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE BB HOLES COMING FROM". I quickly stashed the BB gun in the little brother's room.

As a kid, I'd shoot 'em with my BB gun. I would get into the prone position, crosshairs locked in on the opening of the mouse hole, quietly waiting hours for the enemy to appear. Regular Carlos Hathcock I was.

Then one day my yells out from the basement, "WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE BB HOLES COMING FROM". I quickly stashed the BB gun in the little brother's room.

Thats fucking awesome. Did you have a shag/berber ghillie suit too? IPB Image

• 3 months later...

the mice at our place are sucking the p/b right off of the traps without setting them off, i caught 2 recently but thats it.

we just got a cat.