CBR1100XX.org Forum

Will oem front brake pads fit on the rear?

bhanxx

I know EBC HHs is same part # for front and back, but was thinking the oem back was notched and the fronts were not. Thanks in advance.

Corrrect on both.

Pretty sure the OEM fronts will fit the rear, but the rears will not fit the front. Also not sure if the OEM pad compound is the same for front & rear.

Myself, I prefer OEM rear pads, and EBC fronts. I'm running the Carbon Lorraine fronts right now, and will be switching back to the EBC's when the time comes.

I know EBC HHs is same part # for front and back, but was thinking the oem back was notched and the fronts were not. Thanks in advance.

A little trivia for ya... the pads for the GL1800 are identical to those used by the CBR1100XX.

Assuming these pads I ordered to be the correct ones for my 2003 BBird, the front and rear pad material reflect light differently where they are machined, so I would assume they are of differing composition, and the rears do have a notch that the fronts don't:

Front view of pads.

Also, there is a white fiber pad between the metal backing plate and the perforated shim plate on the rear pads only:

Rear view of pads

So, it appears that the OEM rears might fit the front, but the fronts would not fit the rears if the notch is necessary to fit into the rear caliper.

But, the rear pads with the additional white fiber spacer measure about 25/64 inches by my rusty calipers where the front pads measure about 22/64 inches.

Front pad thickness measured.

Rear pad thickness measured.