CBR1100XX.org Forum

A question to MI area Bird owners about a good ind. wrencher

MR. WOMO

Hey all, I have a question - more specifically for the MI (Detroit metro area) riders out there.

When I was living in the SF Bay area, I had a couple of occasions to get some upgrades for my '98 Bird. On one of the forums out there, a local guy who also does a lot of work for Dunlop and the pro circuit was known very well among the riders there as a great guy who would actually drive out to your home and help with various wrenching duties to a wide variety of bikes. I had him help me with putting in a jetting kit, remove and replace the front forks when I had them done by another shop out there, (Kyle racing - thanks Alpha Bird!) the rear shock - a bunch of little stuff.

Now, I am happy to work on my bike myself when I feel I can (given that wrenching is not my primary forte) but I was thinking of getting some new Wave Rotors and SS lines, and I'm not REAL comfortable of doing it all solo (or taking it to a dealer where I would pay and arm and a leg for work I may not be entirely happy with)

Because I have recently moved back into the Detroit/Ann Arbor area where my wife and I are from originally, I wondered if anyone around here knows of a person that does basically the same thing or if there was a rider in this area that would be willing to help a fellow Bird owner in the coming months with a project like that.

I appreciate any help or information you guys and ladies could throw my way. I just thought it was a real treat to actually learn a bit about the bike and the various tips this other guy passed on, as well as having the bike right there at your home instead of taking it to a dealer and never seeing how well the job was being done. Not to mention meeting and BSing about bikes with the guy in general.

Thanks in advance, and nice to be back on the forum again after being pretty busy for the past year or so!

Cheers,

Kevin

Bob Shammas over at the Hayabusa board is in Ann Arbor and he does a TON of wrenching on the side.... he loves to mess around on all sorts of bikes. Give him shout out.... his screen name is Black-n-Blusa

You can check out his webpage for Shammas Motorcycle Performance

ps.... I work in Ann Arbor on north campus and live about 30 miles southwest....there are a few other XX'ers in the area as well. Check out the redneXXt thread for an upcoming meet of the closest XX riders.

Joelmikel,

Thanks for the tips and the links - I'll have to give him a shout and see if he can help out.

We'll definitely have to meet up some time, sounds like we're practically neighbors! I work in the RenCen a couple of days a week, but right on Main St. downtown the rest of the time. We moved into a new home right near Briarwood in November. Send me a PM if you're and we can try and arrange it if you're interested.

The upcoming group ride sounds like a blast, but my schedule at this point wouldn't allow me the time - perhaps later in the summer or fall if there is another one planned though!

Cheers,

Kevin