CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake and Clutch Fluid Change

Mikesblackbird

I'm changing out the clutch and brake fluid on my 97 Bird this weekend. Is there anything that I need to watch out for? I plan on using a MityVac at each bleeder screw and removing the old while replacing the master cylinder with fresh synthetic Dot 4 fluid.

Thanks.

Combined braking system.

Check manual, then proceed.

Over

I'm changing out the clutch and brake fluid on my 97 Bird this weekend. Is there anything that I need to watch out for? I plan on using a MityVac at each bleeder screw and removing the old while replacing the master cylinder with fresh synthetic Dot 4 fluid.

Thanks.

Combined braking system.

Check manual, then proceed.

Over

Got it.

Over.

I think it’s a much easier job with two people, but if I can do it solo, anyone can.

I guess I’m lazy, but I don’t completely drain. I stop pumping just before air gets in to the lines, then refill. Repeat as often as necessary. It’s easy to tell the old fluid from the new fluid is it gets pumped out.

I’ll probably get flamed for doing it this way, but I figure the DIY maintenance person performs maintenance much more frequently that the guy who takes their bike to the shop, so the fluids never get that tired. For example my motor gets fresh oil MUCH fore frequently now than it did when I thought I had to drag it to the shop.

Do a search: lots of good advice on this around here. DON"T SPILL ANY.

I think it’s a much easier job with two people, but if I can do it solo, anyone can.

I guess I’m lazy, but I don’t completely drain. I stop pumping just before air gets in to the lines, then refill. Repeat as often as necessary. It’s easy to tell the old fluid from the new fluid is it gets pumped out.

I’ll probably get flamed for doing it this way, but I figure the DIY maintenance person performs maintenance much more frequently that the guy who takes their bike to the shop, so the fluids never get that tired. For example my motor gets fresh oil MUCH fore frequently now than it did when I thought I had to drag it to the shop.

Do a search: lots of good advice on this around here. DON"T SPILL ANY.

That's what I do. I only use a mityvac for dry systems. I'd actually say you can spill, just not on anything that you'd like the paint to stay on.