CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hand Guards made!

bartonmd

Well, you saw the bar that I had on there from the side bags thread, but hadn't gotten time to finish the hand guards... I figured that I'd rather make something cheap, dirty, and simple to make sure they worked for me before I made the "real ones"

Turns out that, to get them to clear the fairing at full lock on the bottom side, the wind comes up and gets the tips of my fingers...

Meeting... more later...

post-991-1139315440_thumb.jpg

post-991-1139315450_thumb.jpg

Well, you saw the bar that I had on there from the side bags thread, but hadn't gotten time to finish the hand guards... I figured that I'd rather make something cheap, dirty, and simple to make sure they worked for me before I made the "real ones"

Turns out that, to get them to clear the fairing at full lock on the bottom side, the wind comes up and gets the tips of my fingers...

Meeting... more later...

Pics not showing up for me. Anyone else?

Meeting... more later...

Pics not showing up for me. Anyone else?

It seems to have not made thumbnails of them, but if you click on them, the pictures come up...

Mike

How's this?

gallery_991_49_41728.jpg

gallery_991_49_49626.jpg

Anyway, I'd say they take maybe 5-6 degrees off the outside temperature (meaning when I rode in and it was 19 this morning, it felt like maybe 24-25 degrees on my hands without the guards), but thee real problem is, as I started to say before, even with the heli-bars, to get them to not rub the fairing by the tank at full lock, they can only be about an inch and a half lower than the bar, and can't come back all that far, so the from the last knuckle to my fingertips were getting pretty cold from the wind coming from up under the guards... It does make it worse that, on the left side of the bike, I had to cut a piece out of the bottom of the guard so it didn't hit my heated grip switch on the fairing inner, so my left middle finger was getting pretty cold too...

I'm really glad I did the cheap/shitty/dirty way of doing these before I did them nice, and welded everything together and got them powdercoated, because on this bike, they don't work as well as on something where the bars are out in the open and you can have a big guard that blocks all the wind... Being that I could use new winter gloves anyway, by the time I do the guards up right and buy new regular winter gloves, I could have almost bought a set of heated gloves... so that's what I'm doing to do and be done with it...

Mike

look nice mike too bad they dont work great. i LOVE my heated gloves!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin'... I'll probably get the Gerbing gloves because they plug right into my jacket liner, but it sucks that they cost like $30 more than the Widder gloves...

On a side note, the Fog City insert I put in yesterday ROKKS!! I had ZERO fog this morning, even with the visor shut at stops and the Noj Quiet Rider (does NOT make things quiet, but stops the wind from going up your face) on the helmet... VERY good $10!!

Mike

How about some mor einfo on the fog city insert Mike?

I have spent many night riding home opening the visor every 3-5 minutes or actually trying to look around the fogged up screen. Real bad when visor and glasses fog over!

Well, I rode in this morning when it was 19-20 degrees and left the shield down the whole way except my one stop-sign (didn't want it to freeze and be frosty all the way to work, and didn't really trust it yet) and had no fogging whatsoever... At lunch, I did some city riding and left the shield down at all my stop lights and such, and ended up not getting any fogging at all, and it was less than freezing...

Seriously, the best $10 I've spent on the bike/gear!

Mike

Edit: I still need to do the ultimate test, which is a 35 degree rain... THEN I can say whether or not it fogs!

Seriously, the best $10 I've spent on the bike/gear!

Mike

Edit: I still need to do the ultimate test, which is a 35 degree rain... THEN I can say whether or not it fogs!

well there's $10 of tax return spent

I had a Fog City insert for a few years and it works awesome in ALL kinds of weather & temprature. Just be REAL careful cleaning it. The plastic is soft and scratches easily. After a few years, I yanked it out and I thought I had nothing in frint of my face at all. What a difference. You get used to the scratches there and don't realise how bad it is. I should have just replaced it every other year or so. But for fogging, it really does work. I tried fogging it intentionally and within a second or two it cleared itself.