CBR1100XX.org Forum

need to rejet?

devilisht2003

will i need to rejet the carbs if i get my cylinder head ported and polished? tax return is coming and may spend it on the bike..I HOPE

Well, maybe. If your bike is running fine now and you do no other mods besides porting you might be fine, you might need to go up a little on the mains. You might, if the guy doing the porting is no expert, even lose power.

Like all else related to motors, you are dealing with a system. Cylinder head porting won't help much unless you increase compression, go with different cams, increase external flow related components like the intake tract and the exhaust system.

Port shape, size and flow characteristics are intimately related to cam profile and timing and intake/exhaust tuned length and flow characteristics. If your head porter hasn't asked you about that stuff, I would stay away.

Honda, and all the other manufacturers, do a pretty good job on their heads right out of the box. It's one of the reasons you see specific outputs well over 1.3 HP/liter on street engines. That used to be race engine only power level.

Might be better to get with a knowledgable guy and just settle for a nice, multiangle valve job with a little back cut on the valve heads and a little bowl work just below the seat. That is really where a good deal of the power can be found. Polishing the chambers and maybe the exhaust ports and cleaning up the entrances/exits to the gasket lines would be about all I would do. Knife edging and shortening the valve guides can provide some benefit as well but tends to shorten intervals between valve jobs.

ok so maybe full port and polish is out....i'm just tryin to figure out what the next step would be as for as performance mods for when i get my tax return. i have the muzzy/d&d with jet kit. maybe a ignition advancer.....

ok so maybe full port and polish is out....i'm just tryin to figure out what the next step would be as for as performance mods for when i get my tax return. i have the muzzy/d&d with jet kit. maybe a ignition advancer.....

First thing's first... suspension! You will be AMAZED at the conficence cornering! At least switch out to 5W oil in the forks... and a SHOCK!

Mike

First thing's first... suspension! You will be AMAZED at the conficence cornering! At least switch out to 5W oil in the forks... and a SHOCK!

Mike

hmmm suspension good idea!

• 2 weeks later...