CBR1100XX.org Forum

900RR adjustable shock on XX????

Fiona

Can't find anything using the search but I was reading this somewhere last night in a drunken state but can't find it again...

But basically it was a bird fitted with a 900RR shock and upgraded race tech spring.

Has anyone heard this? Any benefit/drawback? Any areas of concern to note?

What I remember reading was that the shock length/height was identical between the RR and the XX so it was a direct swap and that by upgrading the spring you'll have a fully adjustable rear suspension.

Hell, could have been the drugs talking and I didn't read it at all but I thought I'd put it out there and see if there was anything to it.

Yep I read a few of them. Even bought one off Ebay for 20 bucks with 8,000 miles on it. Now to just find a spring... oh and money :wink:

Have any of them to reference? I suspect it's not in the same class as putting a Wilbur's or Ohlin's on your bike but any idea how the two/three compare?

The shock can handle the extra weight of the XX no problem?

Otherwise how does the ride feel with your setup over stock?

I think a f4 and 929 weight close to the same . The shaft and the shock valve body(piston) seem to be identical, though the shims stacks are quite different.

I have a 1100 lb spring and i revalved the shock my self. It's valving is close to he stock XX stack with allowances for the heavier spring. The ride is stiffer then stock, feels better , a little more controlled. Just putting in fresh oil can totally change the feel of the shock. I going to take some more compression damping out of the valving if i get a chance before spring. I'm thinking of trying more of a two stage compression stack but im not sure i want to deal with the complication. I just may remove one more shim from the valve face and give it a try. My xx shock wasn't worn out when i took it off.

I was able to buy 3 f4i shocks for about 20 buck each off ebay last year. I have one as complete spare, one on my bike and one i nicked the air bladder on (losts of good parts left though) . You can't even by a new seal head for a shock for 20 bucks.

I not claiming its better then a ohlins or penski or anything but i like it. YOu can still find almost mew f4i shocks around. The 900r shock are getting pretty old. If you use a 900rr shock it should be revalved and have the oil changed anyway.