CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Filter (Auto)

SLyFoXX

Not Motorcycle, but for my Chevy PU, changing the fuel filter. What is the secret to change these damn things. When I start to remove the thing fuel start flowing out of the lines, what the secret, just be fast or what?

The fuel system is under some 60psi.

Just do it. you'll get a small geyser, and then the pressure drops and it will stop flowing.

OK, all I can think of is that Movie (can't think of the name) "we have a bleeder"

Thanks

Not sure on the GM, but my Ford has a schrader valve near the firewall on the injector rail. You can bleed the pressure there.

Want the engine cold, since this is real close to the exhaust manifold.

FYI the Ford uses quick disconnects. Ford sells a neat, expensive tool to compress the clips on the filter. A $5.00 airconditioner line removeal kit has many sizes and works better.

+1 on the schraeder valve. I usually pull the fuse and start the car. Let it run til it stalls, then hit the schraeder. It's on the fuel rail going to the injectors. The only gas you'll get is what's left in the filter.

Oh and don't smoke while doing this :shock:

If I can remember, use a 19 mm wrench on the smaller of the 2 nuts (holding lines to the filter) and vice grips on the other bolt, begin to release the 19mm nut and place a bowl under it, the pressure will subside within a minute, then you can remove the old filter.

It still will leak, but not much. Phil.