CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork alignment

Clinton Horn

I rode about 150 miles yesterday( I think everybody tried to get out) and it may be my imagination but after putting 15,000 miles on my bike, I believe the forks are twisted ever so slightly. I have never been down but it was a "rebuild" and was low sided before I got it. When I was a kid I used to foul the wheel of smaller Hondas and twist the handle bars to bring them straight. If the Bird is out, it is not by much. Any tricks to:

1. Determine if I am imagining things

2. Correct alignment without getting a lot of expensive equipment involved.

Thanks

Bike on center stand.

Loosen lower triple clamp bolts, leaving the upper's tight.

Loosen axle clamp bolts on both sides.

Take bike off center stand and bounce a couple of times.

Tighten, working from side to side, the axle clamp bolts.

Bounce a little more while doing this.

Finally tighten the lower triple clamp bolts.

If nothing is bent, that should get the tweak out.

If you suspect a bent fork tube, you will need to remove the wheel and then spin the fork tube in the triple clamps while holding the lower leg in your hand. If you feel or observe any wiggle down there it's time for a new tube. The axle can be checked in a set of V-blocks with a dial indicator. If you don't have one, a trip to the local machine shop and 10 bucks or so will get it checked for you.

I appreciate the tips. I guess if it has not bothered me all this time, I should live with it but I keep staring at it trying to decide if it is my imagination. I don't think it is, so I will use your instructions. I am planning to do some winter service anyway. New shock oil, maybe springs and seals. As many have noted, the forks are not the best and I am no light weight.

Bike on center stand.

Take bike off center stand and bounce a couple of times.

Without using the front brake!

Another -fat- chance is that if the bike was crashed, the triple clamps are bent. This happens mostly in big crashes but you can't determine just by looking at them.