CBR1100XX.org Forum

Taillight question

pug

Is it possible to open the taillight (FI model)?

From the parts diagramms it looks like a sealed unit and surely there are no screws from the outside.

Guest rockmeupto125

If you desire to separate the lense from the baseplate, put it in some hot (as in a pan on the stove hot) water for about a minute. That softens the glue, and you should be able to release the snaps and separate the two pieces easily.

Why would you want to do such a thing? LED lights?

If you desire to separate the lense from the baseplate, put it in some hot (as in a pan on the stove hot) water for about a minute. That softens the glue, and you should be able to release the snaps and separate the two pieces easily.

I should have thought that by myself. :oops: Thanks.

Why would you want to do such a thing? LED lights?

You got me on this as well. I have 4 arrays of LEDS from the rear lights of a training car I have in 'office'. The 2 of them are running lights, the other are combined running/brake lights They are bigger than the XX's taillight and will ne an ass to install them. I'll come up with pictures later today.

Project cancelled.

I might be able to open the unit but I know that it will be difficult to

close it and seal it again properly.

Also the leds I have are very big and it will be an ass to modify and fit them inside.

Here are the leds with the brake lights on:

LEDSbrake.jpg

And here with the position lights on:

LEDSpos.jpg

And here with the taillight on top:

tailleds.jpg

My inittial idea was to fit two lines of leds but I think there isn't any room for the printed circuit (cannot be seen in the photos)

So probably, I'll fit led bulbs. Any ideas what and where to purchase?

P.S. I forgot. In order to remove the taillight, I had to undo and lift the cowl. This is not written in the manual.