CBR1100XX.org Forum

New seat built for comfort!

mikeG

Check this out

20037207970551262967115.jpg

Got a Sargent seat with the bike but it was built for someone with short legs. I'm 6' tall with 32-33 inseam. Was going to send it back to Sargent for redo but tried a local upholsterer(Kelly's-Natick Ma) and he did a great job for me. Built up the drivers area by 3/4" and leveled to tank, widened the front. Moved transition forward about 1.5" to give the passenger more room. Leveled the passenger seat and flattened it for confort. Made new marine grade upholstery. Let me try it after doing foam but before upholstery. Price $135--Can you believe it?

Driver area now comfortable all the way up to the tank. Extra height gives more legroom. Lots of room to move around and change positions. Looks a little bulkier than the standard seat but does the job.

MikeG

He used a multicolor foam that looks like a thick version of the stuff they put under premium carpet, especially in wet/damp areas. Fairly firm. He said it was standard foam used for cars/bikes etc. I asked about closed cell foam, but he only recommended that for floatable cushions for boats--said the foam doesn't hold up with pressure. He then put a sheet of thin--maybe 1/4" thick foam over that, then a plastic membrane to keep out water then marine grade vinyl. Looks a bit overstuffed but that's what I asked for. Rode the bike about 2 hrs since(on vacation for a week) and much more comfortable than the stock or Sargent seat. Who knows?

MikeG