CBR1100XX.org Forum

How long do you let your oil drain for?

BarryG

Actually, I don't know why people warm the bike up if they're not doing a UOI... If it's cold, all the oil is already down in the pan anyway, although it may take a bit longer to drain out of the pan when it's cold, but there is more oil drained down from the top end when it's cold too, which is why I usually let my oil drain for quite awhile if it's hot when I change it...

Mike

Guest rockmeupto125
If it's cold, all the oil is already down in the pan anyway

Bingo. All the oil that's gonna drain from the top of the engine is already down there. I've measured the difference...changing the drain pan after a minute. The average amount more that I get by waiting an hour instead of a minute is 30cc. That's 0.03125 quarts more I can drain out than if I closed up after my usual minute.

Honda specifies 4.1 US quarts with an oil filter change, and 4.9 US quarts after a teardown. That intimates that Honda, the manufacturer, feels that 8 tenths of a quart of oil is retained in the engine when the oil and filter are changed versus when all the oil is washed from the parts during a complete teardown.

0.03 gts is not a significant enough part of 0.8 qts for me to worry about. Draining that additional amount will not impact the degradation (or whatever you care to call it) of the new oil by the old oil retained in the engine. And if one has concerns about contaminents settling out of the oil onto the sump floor and not being drained out (because they haven't been circulated and mixed up with the oil), then one really doesn't know how oil works, or has been using their oil for quite a few thousand miles more than was ever intended.

After draining the oil for 45 minutes in a humidity and temparture controlled garage (68 degrees, 17%-23% humidity) I remove the engine crack the case and clean the inside with a SOFT toothbrush. The Braun electric is very good for this. Working my way through the engine, I then use a hose cleaner I purchased from a fish store to clean the inside of all the applicable hoses.

Once everything is clean, I put a LIGHT film of oil on all surfaces prior to re-assembly. You can use your bare finger for this, just of course be sure you wash ALL the dirty oil off before hand and clean using a MILD soap and rinse and dry your hands THOROUGHLY prior to starting the application. Some people use latex gloves for this part, but I think that's just being anal.

Anyway, using this procedure I have had over 6,000 miles of trouble free useage of my engine.

Guest rockmeupto125

How do you address the oil cooler? I've found that Brazilian fire-ants actually eat the oil, and if you pour them into the cooler, its perfectly clean. Just don't pour too many in, or they think its a nest and stay in there instead of bringing the oil out for the colony.

Be sure to count them all, and get them all out. Their byproduct of digestion is an acid, of course, and can eat through aluminum in a few hours.

How do you address the oil cooler?   I've found that Brazilian fire-ants actually eat the oil, and if you pour them into the cooler, its perfectly clean.  Just don't pour too many in, or they think its a nest and stay in there instead of bringing the oil out for the colony.

Be sure to count them all, and get them all out.  Their byproduct of digestion is an acid, of course, and can eat through aluminum in a few hours.

Man! I thought I was the only one who does this! Here's a tip, when you drop them into the cooler, just make sure the queen is not with them and they will not nest. I used to count them as well until I spent four days looking for 7 of them (searched the cooler, the garage, it was a nightmare). Finally did some more research and found that the little bastards are cannibalistic in the right environment! Argh! Well, now I just use a light power vaccum to clean out any stragglers and have not had any problems.

Actually, I don't know why people warm the bike up if they're not doing a UOI... If it's cold, all the oil is already down in the pan anyway, although it may take a bit longer to drain out of the pan when it's cold, but there is more oil drained down from the top end when it's cold too, which is why I usually let my oil drain for quite awhile if it's hot when I change it...  

Mike

Ok, that does it, i'm changing my procedure. Drain the oil when cold and have 2 beers (vs. 1) to compensate for the extra drain time. Avoids hot oil and headers too.

Question, do you have to compensate for drain time based on oil weight and type (e.g. synthetic vs. mineral, 5w-40 vs. 15w-50, etc.)?

Mike

Ok, that does it, i'm changing my procedure. Drain the oil when cold and have 2 beers (vs. 1) to compensate for the extra drain time. Avoids hot oil and headers too.

Question, do you have to compensate for drain time based on oil weight and type (e.g. synthetic vs. mineral, 5w-40 vs. 15w-50, etc.)?

Honestly, I just wait until there's a second or so between drips... That's when I button it up...

Mike

So why exactly do you run the bike before changing the oil?

The only reason I do is....

too stir up any of the possible metal particulates that may have fallen out of suspention.

I'm talking about the supper little shit that passes through you oil filter.

I figure the more of it I can get out, the better. Why not... can't hurt.

Plus I like the warm-up ride,

Plus I'm never in a hurry when I'm servicing my bike.... I enjoy doing maintenance. So I'll let it drain for how ever long it takes for me to do something else..... like checking the air pressure, or lubing the Lever pivot points, etc.