CBR1100XX.org Forum

Considering suspension upgrade

shovelstrokeed

I'm considering some suspension upgrades to my '01 with 14K on it. I'm fairly pleased with the stock rear and will upgrade the front springs and oil. So long as I'm at it though, will an F4 shock bolt right in? Adjustable compression and rebound damping would be a step up for sure and it will give me something to work with as I save the money for an Ohlins or Penske. :?:

To use the f4 shock you need a 1/2 inch spacer between the upper shock mount and the frame. It works best if you get the f4 top mount as it has a longer bolt on it . You will also need a stiffer spring for the shock and the shock should be revalved I did it cause I had lots of time on my hands and wanted to learn about shocks and valving .

I have an 1100 lb/inch ebiach on mine . The stock f4 spring has the top coil smaller in diameter then the rest so you need to get a spring like that or modify the top perch a bit. I found the mod a rewarding experience cause I learned a lot about shocks and the only real expense was the new spring and a lot of my time . I think i paid 20 bucks for my f4 shock on ebay.

If you are not prepared to actually take the f4 shock apart and play with it I would stick with the stock shock.

Herb